ꫂ sixteen

Sometimes (most of the time), the two of them would actually forget that they were still students and they had duties

Donghyuck was too busy being carefree. During breaks, he would guess people's future out of boredom. He'd enjoy finding familiar people and would then realize that he had met them through parks, malls, or even on his way to pick up his son from school. The most joy he'd have is when he gets to see his friends' story all over again. It felt like watching an old film again, it's all too familiar to him. And when the weekend comes, he'd either go out to buy groceries, or do a general cleaning at their apartment. The only thing he couldn't escape from this timeline is soccer practice. Jaemin would always force him to do it and he never succeeded in getting away from him.

As for Mark, despite already getting used to being busy because of office work, complaints never fail to get out of his mouth. He wanted to just give a heartfelt talk to his younger self and tell him to calm, the fuck, down. Mark won't ever have the opportunity to even breathe before, during, and after class. The only time he gets to rest was at night, not even weekends.

And also... maybe when he gets to see Donghyuck, even from afar. He would always feel at peace by just watching him.

"Have the booths been finalized?"

Mark was dozing off during the council meeting for the upcoming Sports Fest. However, he did not have the chance to take a nap while the meeting was ongoing since he's the one to report the plans they have already agreed upon. "Each section will have activities to entertain the students. They'll have representatives to watch over their stalls."

The president of the council nodded her head while flipping the pages of the final proposal she received for the festival. "How about the schedule of the courts and the field? Did we get permission to use it?"

"The sports coordinator is on to it." It felt like a one-man team for Mark as he was the only one answering the questions. Then again, these past days he was so busy swooning over Donghyuck that he didn't get to help much in preparing for the event. This was the least he could do. "We'll get the approval before the day ends."

"The list of the players?" Upon asking that, another member of the council handed her the papers filled with names. She checked thoroughly before she could mark it as final. A missing name then caught her attention, "In soccer, this team lacks one member."

Nervously following his eyes as to where she was specifically pointing on the paper, Mark had to come up with an alibi. "I'll still have to look for a substitute."

Getting the old list, she started to compare the changes. "Why did Donghyuck drop out from the team?"

He didn't, it was all Mark's doing.

"Exams are near and he decided to focus on studying." No. Mark could remember clearly that Donghyuck would sprain his ankle during one of his games. They weren't close yet at that time, but he remembered wanting to check up on him.

It may just be a small change, but Mark was aware of the consequences and he decided to prioritize Donghyuck's wellbeing more.

Nodding her head, she couldn't do anything. Focusing on academics is a valid reason and this is just a passing event. "Inform me if there's already a substitute."

They all came to an agreement and continued with their meeting until finally coming to a conclusion to end it. Each one of them bid their farewell while the others stayed to encode their plan for the event that's just right around the corner. Staying and helping them weren't Mark's task and he successfully had done his part already during the meeting, that means that he can also leave. He was then dismissed and didn't wait a second to rush out of the room.

Upon doing so, his eyes darted towards the windows. Worry filled him when he saw the gloomy weather.

"Boo."

"Ahh!" Mark jumped from his place, a manly scream coming out from his mouth when he heard a whisper from his ear. A laughing girl greeted her, amused at him being scared. "Ko Eun, you almost separated my soul from me!"

"I'm sorry." Wiping the tears from laughing, she finally collected herself to have a proper conversation. "You scared me first by just standing still there! I thought you were a ghost."

Mark rolled his eyes, moving on and began walking, "Why are you still at the campus? It's already six."

"I'm not the only one left here. There are still students around." Ko Eun caught up to him and matched his steps to walk right beside him.

He turned to look at her, "And?"

She shrugged her shoulders, not knowing what to say. Ko Eun debated on whether to ask him out or— actually, she decided that she will. "I stayed because I wanted to ask you out for dinner. Jeno told me you'd have a meeting with the council and you two won't be going home together."

Has Ko Eun been this brave? Mark questioned himself. He's not stupid enough to think that this had no intention for them to be together. He really didn't want to lead her on, nor did he want to do something that could lead to a misunderstanding. However, lately he has been distant towards her because of how busy he got in the council and also because of Donghyuck. As shattering as it sounds, he didn't prioritize her nor did he plan on doing so.

"Are you going to be free later? I can still wait." She asked him, crossing her fingers, wishing for luck to be on her side.

Mark felt bad. Can't he just treat this as a genuine friendship? "I'm actually free now, but I still have to get something from my locker."

Her eyes glistened with hope, "Are we having dinner together?"

One dinner won't probably hurt him. He just prayed that this situation of theirs won't break her heart badly. She really does seem like a genuine friend for Mark. "Let's eat together. Can you wait for me a bit by the entrance?"

"I will, Mark." With a bright smile, Ko Eun excused herself and walked away.

The smile on Mark's face was immediately replaced with a frown the moment the girl's figure disappeared from his sight.

If turning her down like this is hard enough for him, how agonizing might it be for Donghyuck to break up with Lucas?

Shaking his head, Mark decided not to think too much about it. The time when Ko Eun would confess is still far from the date. For now, he needs to get the books, that he'll study for tonight, inside his locker and he'll be off to have dinner with Ko Eun.

He nodded his head in agreement with his thoughts. If it's not his current problem then he'll worry about it later. And plus, he already has this mature mindset. He will do his best not to hurt Ko Eun badly in rejecting her.

"We rarely see each other lately and this is what you will tell me?"

"Lucas, I really can't do it anymore."

Pausing from his place, Mark heard familiar voices the moment he reached the locker area. He didn't need to hide as those voices came from another row. It was not like he could move an inch. He just stood there in shock, eavesdropping at the two talking.

It already crossed his mind just a while ago, but he was just too busy centering his relationship with Ko Eun.

"Let's break up."

Mark had no idea this was going to happen today.

— to be continued