Stumble

It's late, and the wind is howling outside of Evan's window. The rain beats softly against the side of the house. And before I know it I doze off.

My phone rings, jolting me from my sleep. Evan groans, sitting up.

"Hello?" I answer.

"Eve, it's Gray. Mom and Dad are locking up and want to know where you are," he demands.

"I'm with Evan. We fell asleep. So I think I'll sleep on the couch and come home tomorrow," I inform him so he will let me get back to sleep.

"You're not coming home? Are you nuts?" he scoffs in my ear.

"It's a long drive. I don't expect him to take me home this late." I rub at my forehead.

"Yeah, well, maybe he should have thought about that before he had you out so long."

"Gray, tell Mom and Dad I will be home in the morning." I'm growing irritated with his bullshit.

Evan takes the phone, scaring the life out of me.

"If she wants to go home I can take her home, it's not a problem. But I think she said she will be home tomorrow." He runs a hand through his hair. "Alright, see ya." He drops my phone next to me on the couch.

"What was that?" I ask, a little surprised by his assertiveness with Gray.

"That is me getting irritated with your brother," he says.

"I see that." I curl up on his couch. He lays back down, wrapping his arms around me.

"I don't like the way that he treats you," he tells me, planting a kiss on the back of my head.

"He's a moron, don't let it bother you."

"He doesn't want to get on my bad side. It won't end well for him," Evan warns me. I'm sure he knows coming from him how bad that sounds. I wonder if he cares.

"Goodnight, Evan." I close my eyes.