Chapter 37

Hey,

In this chapter Anna will follow her gut feeling. What do you think - factoring in that she's a newborn vamp - is it something she can trust?

I hope you like this one, have a great read and let me know what you're thinking! :-)

Lara

________________________________________________________

Chapter 37

The noise of the city around us faded and died as the blood in my veins froze.

Vladislav.

"Zack, where's Alexander now?" The question came out with a quiet tremor that had worked its way up my throat violently.

"There's not enough time to explain right now. You don't know what's going on in this city. So just leave it and we'll talk about this once you're back in the mansion," Zack said.

I opened my mouth, closed it. Was I right?

Could it be...?

Andy stepped up beside me, folding his arms in front of him.

"Perhaps he's been ordered not to tell you, or us," he said calmly. Andy was in Force-mode. He was scanning Zack as if he was part of a group of suspects he was supposed to bring in.

Zack's eyes darted to Andy. A more human reaction than much of what I'd seen before.

"Stay out of things you witches don't understand, Varner."

Andy smiled. "Oh I think I understand perfectly. You just forgot to mention that a vamp going by the name of Shinji made a claim or call for the position of head vampire in New York."

I turned to Andy. "He challenged Alexander?"

"As in a duel?" Andy shook his head. "I don't know. We just know that Shinji's issued a challenge to Alexander's position. There have been more threats and rioting in New York City in these past two weeks. Honestly, I've never seen the city in the kind of turmoil as it is right now. It's fucked up. Right now, the humans don't trust anyone that vaguely looks supernatural – vamp or magical. Any small incident could tip the scales for war."

Andy's eyes darted to Zack, who was watching him, silently and with an expression that lacked the easy smile he usually kept plastered on his face – a minuscule difference in his face that I might have missed as a non-vamp.

"Shinji's made use of the situation," Andy said. "He's been roaming through the city, making his claim and talking to various factions. From what I heard from my contacts, he openly blamed Alexander for the uproar and rioting in the city. It looks like some of the vamps in the territory, Alexander's enemies in particular, are considering to switch alliances."

Andy's eyes went to Zack. "But I'm pretty sure Zackery can tell us more. He just won't, am I right?"

Zack stared at him, then switched his gaze to me. "I'm sorry, Anna, but I have orders. You're coming with me and we're going back to the mansion, whether by force or not."

Giuliana stepped forward. "If you think I will leave my godchild in your or your head vampire's hands, you are wrong, Zackery Hamilton."

Zack folded his arms in front of him, showing off the bulging biceps with an ease that made it more subtle statement than open threat. It was not what made him dangerous, but it certainly served its purpose.