Chapter 11

Hi,

It's an early update this week! In this one Anna is trying to figure out what Vladislav is planning. Any ideas? What do you think will be his next move?

Enjoy the read and let me know if you liked it :-)

Lara

___________________________________________________________

Chapter 11

The rendezvous point was on top of a tall building at the outskirts of the financial district that once must have been a high-end office. These days it was more a relic the city solely maintained for nostalgic reasons. Approaching the edge of the building's platform on the top, I kept my gaze fixed on Andy and Giuliana. Even though the building was open to visitors, it was mostly vacated at this time of night. Then again, in a city that hosted the Empire State Building and vied for extremes in any area or branch, anything that wasn't on top of a ranking simply didn't make it on the list.

I closed the distance between us mutely and put my hands on the railing. The city was alit, made up of thousands of lights in different colors and shapes. Somewhere in this artificial sea of light, cars and skyscrapers a centuries-old-vampire was on the hunt for power and perhaps vengeance.

What would happen to this city, my city, if we didn't stop him?

"How did you get away from Alexander?" I said, throwing the words into the wind.

Giuliana snorted beside me. "He may be head vampire, but he cannot be at two places at once. I managed to get myself out of his-" she coughed – "nightclub." She turned to me. "Did he hurt you?"

I shook my head, turning to face her. The wind cut in fiercely, driving Giuliana's hair up in erratic fissures. Her jaw was set, her green eyes filled with determination. The look on her face said she was going to hurt Alexander if he harmed me in any way.

"He didn't hurt you either, right?" I said, searching her face.

She shook her head. "He would have been very sorry, had he tried."

"You're still you, since you're here," Andy said from beside me.

I exhaled. "Yeah, I guess so. How did it go with the Circle?"

"Jason will see what he can do, but eventually he'll need proof."

Of course he'll need proof.

"What about the headquarters?" We'd gone to the different factions not only to inform them of Vladislav's presence and the threat he posed, but to ask for their help. We couldn't be everywhere at once.

Andy nodded. "Jason agreed to go to Brown at once. He's going to tell him he got the info from a secret informant. Once Jason's done that Brown will have to issue a warning. The Circle's Force will probably be on high alert for three nights. If no other proof of a real threat comes in until that point in time, they'll resume the usual modus operandi."

"Did you bring the lap top and the map?"

He flashed me a grin and it was so like his old self – the boy I liked back when we were in the Academy – that for a second it was hard to breathe.

"What did you think? Of course I did," he said.

* * *

We'd chosen this particular building on purpose. Not only because it was the shortest way for all of us, but it conveniently towered over most of the surrounding buildings, while it was unobtrusive enough to let us do what we came for.