16. Recommendation

Team Sakura complete their mission in Kaminari no Kuni a week earlier than expected, and Sakura practically had to drag her dead-exhausted gennin back across the country on her back.

Who knew that the underground tunnels left there from the war could be so dangerous and complicated? Team Sakura had work the hardest they'd ever worked to get out of them alive and with the rubies that their client requested, and Sakura had to just sit there patiently and wait for them, hoping they'd come out alive.

They performed teamwork perfectly now, after Sarumiko's incident. Not wanting to let something as minor as not getting along become the reason they failed as shinobi. They didn't want to do that to their sensei.

But with all chakra reserves drained completely, the woman had to carry them back home while they rested in a medically-induced sleep to heal faster.

Sakura was both proud and relieved to find Usui's satchel full of the gems. His older sister was so happy to see him alive after she was called to be informed that he was in the hospital and Gouda's parents were glad to see she had been successful.

Sarumiko was the first to recover properly with help from the Nibi's chakra and Sakura took her out for breakfast as a celebration. Later on, they delivered hot ramen to the other two who had to stay in bed for another few days to let the effects of chakra depletion wear off.

"Oh I'm so proud of you, my lovely little gennin!" Sakura cooed, "You're all going to turn out like top-notch shinobi some day!"

"You bet we will!" cheered Usui with a lopsided grin.

"When Usui and Gouda get out of this stinkin' place," started Sarumiko, "Let's all go out for BBQ." She blushed in embarrassment and the other two were surprised at her statement for she had never been one to instigate group meetings.

Usui grinned wider and Gouda giggled. Sakura knew it was just the beginning of her team's development and she would guide them well.

::

Konan rolled over, flat on her back, as she caught her breath. Sakura was slumped against the dojo wall, panting, and unwrapped her bound hands. The bandages had become all dirtied and bloodied now.

"You've lost your touch, Konan, something on your mind?" laughed the Uchiha.

"Mm. Must be," Konan replied, staring at the ceiling.

"Missing Yahiko and the boys?"

"Deathly. But Leader was delivered something," the purple-haired woman mumbled. She looked over at Sakura, lips in a straight line. "From Kirigakure."

Sometimes, Konan worked so much that she wouldn't return home for days at a time despite being in the village still. She had duties and things to do as Leader's right hand and advisor.

"Maybe you're about to pop out baby number three," Sakura suggested, wriggling her eyebrows. "And oh? That's odd. Kiri hardly contacts us."

"Mm. It's about that time for Chunin Exams, and we always participate with a few teams," she insisted, "Usually, it's not often we find gennin who even want to go."

That was true. Amegakure, much like a few other villages, had other ways of becoming Chunin such as racking up enough A and B-ranked missions, or completing something S-Rank.

"Chunin Exams, huh?" Sakura tapped her chin in thought, and tried to recall her Chunin days because she was certain she'd done it before.

And then her eyes widened.

"Hey! Let me recommend my team, I'm certain they're ready!" she exclaimed excitedly, leaning forwards.

Konan was sceptical. "Sarumiko holds our Nibi though. It is dangerous to let her out of the village and with so many potential threats."

"That would be an Act of War if any villages tried anything," insisted Sakura, "Besides, I don't mind going. I can watch over them, and any of the other teams that go without their sensei."

"Sakura..."

"Oh c'mon, it's a good idea! I can be Amegakure's representative and make sure nobody hurts our babies."

Konan pursed her lips. It wasn't necessary a horrible idea.

"I'll even go in disguise."

"...I'll talk to Leader about it—"

Sakura cheered.

"— but don't get too excited. In the meantime, I'll send you a Form of Recommendation and you can prep your team."

"Great! How long do we have?"

Konan sighed. "Two months."