12. Holiday Away(iii)

"How were the shrines? And the cave diving?" Yuna asked the chuckling couple as they entered the inn at long last.

Much like the day before, they had arisen early and spent the entire day out only to return just by sunset. Yesterday, they smelt strongly of salt water and sweat, and today their skin was marred with dried dirt and the smell of grass.

"Absolutely wonderful!" chastised Sakura, clasping her hands together. "The local shrines were such an empowering experience! We don't have any of those in Ame so it was incredible to see in person. I feel so purified too, like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders."

Yuna looked to Itachi who merely bowed his head politely.

"Cave diving was enjoyable," he told her, simply, and the old woman smiled to herself.

No matter how she pried, he never spoke any less formally as he did when they first arrived and allowed Sakura to express all that needed to be said.

"I can't believe we have to return back to our village so soon when there's so much to see and do here," wailed Sakura in distress. "I'm quite tired but I don't wish for this day to end, you know?"

Yuna nodded and laughed lightly. "Well, you two are going to the festival by the riverside tonight I hope?"

"Festival?" Sakura repeated.

"Yes. It is the Hadaka Matsuri," the elder told them. "The entire village participates, it is quite entertaining. Young people are so energetic."

If Itachi recalled correctly, a Hadaka Masturi was where men wearing fundoshi ran around participating in activities and celebrated good harvest and fertility. He had never personally attended one — as a viewer or participant.

He looked over at Sakura and noticed her absolutely enthralled expression, and knew what that meant.

"Oh, Itachi, we have to go! We have to, please!" She spun around and grabbed the end of his sleeve, eyes round and hopeful. "It'll be so fun!"

"Mm, mm," agreed Yuna. "There will be plenty of alcohol and delicious food too."

Sakura's head swivelled from Yuna to Itachi, and if possible, her eyes had grown even larger to appeal to her husband's soft side. He was silent for a moment, observing her, and then let out a sigh.

As if he was going to say no to her anyway.

If he could just see her smile, he would do anything. Go anywhere.

Sakura cheered loudly, thrusting her fist into the air. She lunged in for a celebratory kiss, thanked Yuna and then dragged him back to their room to prepare.

She had energy as if she hadn't just spent the whole day over-exerting herself, tearing through her bag until she found a summoning scroll she had been saving for something like this.

In it contained a simple yukata for herself and a simple navy blue one for him.

She grinned to herself the whole time, plotting secretly. She ushered him into the shower first, and then went in straight after him.

By the time she got out, he had dressed himself in his festival attire and she had to stop a violent nose bleed. She hadn't seen him wear something so traditional since their wedding and it was a look that aged well.

She felt like a teenager again with how much her heart was beating right then and there.

"You look so handsome, anata!" And his ears burned ever so slightly at the compliment. "Help me change?"