8. Date (iii)

"Don't you want me to at least go home and change?" Sakura laughed as Itachi pulled her closer under his umbrella. His shoulder was getting wet but he didn't mind it so much.

"No." He paused to ask, "Why? Are you cold?"

"Not at all," she grinned, "I just don't think it's romantic in my hospital scrubs. I thought we'd take a detour home."

"You could be wearing mud and it wouldn't matter, as long as you're here," said Itachi, completely straight-faced.

She glanced up at him in a moment of surprise and when he looked down at her, meeting her gaze with an arched brow, she brought two hands up to cup her cheeks.

"Stop it, you're making me blush," she admitted, averting her gaze.

Itachi's lips curled upwards, and he pressed them forward a little faster. They had been walking for short while before suddenly entering the forest that clustered west of the hospital. With the sun rapidly going down, their surroundings seemed to grow ever so creepy, and Sakura didn't do well with horror.

Ghosts scared her — but only because she couldn't punch them out of existence. And demons only terrified her more — because how could she pummel something she couldn't even see?

She gripped the front of Itachi's coat.

"We're nearly there," he whispered in her ear, pressing a kiss to her temple.

When he said "date", she didn't think they'd be doing anything remotely swampy or outdoorsy. She had thought maybe a nice candle-lit dinner or a few drinks at her favourite bar. But no.

In fact, it was much better than that.

She recognised where they were.

Usui's family owned this side of the forest for they were renowned for their contracts and life in and out of summon animals' homes.

This far into the forest, the rain didn't fall directly onto them. So Itachi put down his umbrella and stepped aside.

A picnic. A real picnic. And up above — oh up above — the foliage was decorated with glowing bugs that lit up like stars and lamps, lighting the area.

Sakura broke out into a grin. She spun around and leapt on Itachi, squeezing him tightly. She kissed him senseless and then headed quickly for the picnic, squealing with glee.

Picnics were nearly impossible to do in Ame, thanks to the consistent weather, and Sakura had made a small comment about it a while ago. He had listened. Heard her loud and clear.

She popped open the soju and gasped at the food he had prepared.

"Oh anata!" she exclaimed, "I love it! I love this, thank you!" He sat next to her and she tangled her hand in his hair, curling her fingers behind his neck so she could draw him in and connect their lips.

"I love you," she exhaled, lovingly.

"I love you, too."