Chapter 41: Weak Link

~Skai

Jack set me down a block away from the hospital. I asked him to do this for two reasons. First, we already knew so much had changed while we were away, and though I'd never admit it, I wasn't sure all the changes within Juxtaposition's newly erected walls were good. This was a time to be cautious and not fly straight onto the roof. Second, Jack wasn't doing that great. He tried to hide it, but anyone with any of their sight or hearing at all could tell it was a serious struggle for him to stay mentally present and keep moving. I didn't want him to have to go any farther than necessary.

So, there I was, slinking around buildings, mind frantically trying to come up with a plan. Which was a little hard when I understood so little of the situation. Even here, the clangs were deafening and unearthly. It wouldn't have been so bad if there were other noises to help block it out. But all was silent. Though I strained my ears, I couldn't pick out any of Juxtaposition's usual sounds: sirens, horns, a blacksmith's hammer, the chirp of a magnet screen. All gone.

Adding to the surrealism, all was still. As far as I could see, I was the only Juxtapose not taking shelter in a building. Not that I should take that for granted- best not to take any chances.

When I reached a building I knew was across the street from the hospital, I slowed and felt my hands go clammy. Hugging the wall, I inched my way along the building's backside, working my way to the corner, which I then peered around.

As it turned out, yes, the cautious way had been the right one. The tall cream block that had always brought to mind images of tombstones was crawling with police. Each had a club over one shoulder and a gun holstered at the hip. Five paced each of the four sections. It was a safe bet that I'd find similar circumstances on the sides and at the back. Though maybe not quite as heavy? I'd never find a weak link if I didn't look.

I turned to start working my way around, but paused as a flicker of motion caught my eye. The first detail I registered was the big, shiny black boots of a police officer. Then a premium watch, meant for the elite. Then a circular steel badge etched with numbers one through twelve. I knew it well, for I had seen it many times before. My eyes slowly moved up to take in the face of Henry, the Head of Police. For a few tense seconds, neither of us moved. He was half-hidden behind another building, eyes locked on me. Both of us, I think, were startled.

Then I bolted.

"Wait!" he hissed.

Like I'd pay any attention to his orders.

He limped after me, moving between the shadows of buildings, surprisingly fast, despite his long ago injury.

"Wait!" he whispered again, sounding desperate.

I leapt up to catch the edge of a windowsill, then twisted to land neatly on the second story ledge.

"I need your help!" he whispered up hoarsely.

"Go away," I hissed back. "You know me well enough to realize I won't fall for any of your tricks."

"Please. This isn't a trick."

When I looked back down, his eyes showed genuine desperation, were even a little wild around the edges. I paused.

"Please, come down and let's talk."

"Why can't we talk right here?"

"Aren't you clever enough to realize? If anyone hears what we're saying, we're both dead."

I studied his face again, searching it for any hint of a trick, any shadow of dishonesty. I saw only a man in need.

Reluctantly, I dropped from the building, making sure to stay out of arm's reach.

"Over here," he said, then turned. He looked back when I didn't follow. "Anyone could be eavesdropping right here."

Finally, I sighed and followed, sure that I was making a huge mistake.

We stopped beneath a wall and he wasted no words on niceties.

"She's taken over."

"Who?"

"Madame P. Noire. She's had her hands in the Police Department for years, but I didn't know how far her influence had spread."

"She ordered you to take the Farmer's kids," I guessed. Judging by his guilty expression, I was right.

"She threatened me! I'd have been fired, with a mark on my record that would make it impossible to get another job."

"Okay, okay. Calm down." I backed up a step. Every inch of my being still screamed for me to run.

He grabbed my arm. "You have to stop her!"

I backed up another step, wrenching my arm free. "What makes you think I can stop her?"

"You were the only person she seemed worried about. Never gave the Farmers any thought, other than to order the manufacturers to craft a wall. Never worried about a rebellion from the police or masses, despite ringing them in with a wall. Never mentioned the Council Force. Yet she talked constantly of you, and how you couldn't be allowed to remain free. You and that farm boy."

I shook my head, backing up a little more. "How did you know I'd come here? Why is the hospital so heavily guarded?"

"She knew you'd come. We've been taking shifts all day, waiting for you."

I flinched as if I'd been slapped. They were waiting? She knew?

"We don't have much time. In-" he consulted his watch, "-precisely two minutes and fifteen seconds the back right hand's shift will be over. There will be a small delay before the next group comes out- I made sure many of my friends are in that group, and they will make sure it happens- but the rest will be up to you. Once you get inside, someone loyal to me will be waiting for you. She'll appraise you of the full situation. Good luck."

"Wait!" I threw up my arms. Everything was happening too quickly. "How do you even know I can do it? What if I can't even get in?"

He softened. "Nicholson, I've been tracking you for months. If anyone can do it, you can."

I swallowed, then nodded. One way or another, I would get in. As for what happened after that? Well, maybe I'd get lucky, the doctors would listen and immediately believe me, and I'd sneak out without Madame P. ever knowing I was there.

Yup. I was doomed.

A/N: Thanks for reading! Comment below: what did you like? Dislike? I'd love to hear from you!