Chapter 46: Charge

-Jack

"Colton, the Scrambler!"

"What? Oh yeah!" He fumbled with the small metallic contraption before holding it aloft. I didn't wait for him, though; I barrelled into the guards closest to me, pushing them into the hallway.

"Tom!" I yelled back into the room with Madame Noire, Colton, and unbeknown to most, Tom Thum. "Find where they're hiding them!"

I shot through the hallway, flying as high as I could, knocking guards down as my heavy metal limbs banged into them.

If I were Madame Noire, where would I keep a bunch of Farm kids? Unfortunately, I didn't know much of anything about the layout here. So I just barged into the first room I saw. Just like the last one, this door had no knob (not that it would make much difference with my hands), though this one didn't open of its own accord, so I just charged straight through, not feeling even a note of pain. My body really was steel.

I was met with wide eyes and gaping mouths. I started to get excited, until I realized I didn't know any of these kids. These weren't Farmers. These were orphans.

"Come on!" I told them before making for the hallway.

"He's flying," I heard one whisper behind me.

I stopped at the doorway, then turned back around. "Do any of you know where the Farmer kids are being kept?"

Silence.

"You're made of steel," one kid pointed out.

I sighed. "Yeah. I know." I could no longer swivel my head. Soon my jaw would be frozen in place and speaking would get interesting. "Is that a no?"

One kid with shaggy, dirty blonde hair and metallic blue eyes stepped forward. "They're in rooms G9, G6, B7, and B11."

I turned.

"But all the doors are locked-"

"Not a problem."

"-and there are guards out there with guns!"

"Guards? Yes. Guns? Not so much. They've been deactivated." I said it matter-of-factly, relishing their expressions, wishing I could fold my arms and tilt my head. Instead I just asked, "Are you coming?"

The fifteen someat boys exchanged glances, shrugs, and nods, then began pulling out clubs and heavy balls from various hiding places.

"Let's do this," said the same boy.

I grinned, then faced the hallway. "Charge!"

They took up the cry behind me and rushed into the hall, making quick work of the guards. I began my search of the other rooms.

As far as I could tell, the orphans were separated by gender and age. The youngest I ran into were probably around five. The oldest were a couple years older than me.

I came to a winding staircase and flew up to the second level. The next door I opened left me grinning in relief. Knox's mouth dropped and eyes bulged as he lay on his back on a cot, hands clasped behind his head.

"Jack, what-"

"I'm busting you guys out of here."

Knox grinned dazedly. "Yeah, but Jack. You're floating."

The others started getting to their feet. Soon I couldn't pick out one word, or even one voice from another, but I grinned along happily, feeling as if a large weight had been removed from my back. I'd missed my childhood friends. Somehow, flying in here was like coming home after a long camping trip.

Finally, I whistled as shrilly as I could to get them all to quiet down. "It's good to see you guys too, but catching up will have to wait. We need to get out of here!"

The others stumbled as the room shook.

"What-"

A tearing sound as loud as a giant's laughter shot through the room.

"Get out of here!" I yelled to my friends. "Find the others and get out!"

The top corner of the room was crumpling. The boys ran for the door.

"What about you?" Knox asked over the cacophony.

"I'm gonna go see what's happening!"

I was the last one out the door and into the hall, which was pure chaos. The Farm girls had already been let out, with Tom riding on Gettle's shoulder, and hopefully the rest of the orphans by now. I caught sight of the shaggy-haired one.

"What's going on?" he yelled over to me.

"I don't know! Get everyone outside!"

I flew above everyone's heads, looking for an opening. I found it as I glanced into a deserted room. The roof was collapsed, leaving me a way out.

What I saw wasn't good.

Scales dark as shadow. Spikes sharp as thought. Inhuman, unnatural strength. There was no doubt about it. A great big dragon was sitting on the roof!

A/N: Thanks for reading! Comment below: what did you like? Dislike? I'd love to hear from you!