Chapter 42: S.B.M.

-Jack

"And you're sure we can trust this guy?" I asked for something like the thousandth time.

"Yes. I'm positive. Wait! This is it! Right here."

I drew closer to the ground and let Colton off. Then I looked up at the colossal construction of steel and glass that was apparently a building. I counted no less than twenty four windows of all different shades and sizes. The "building" even had a bridge connecting the tops of two several-story-tall sections.

"S.B.M." I read aloud. "Wonder what that stands for."

But Colton was already at the door of a smaller squarish section, pressing a small bump on the wall beside it.

"I hope this guy knows where they are," I said into the silence.

Colton just shook his head. "I told you. Mr. Finklebat knows everything about Juxtaposition. Including the people who live here, and their goings on. Trust me. He'll know."

I opened my mouth to reply but was cut off by the door opening. With a pang I realized it didn't creak. That was unnatural. Opening a door wasn't supposed to be smooth; it was supposed to be loud and irritating. I shook my head. Juxtaposes.

The man at the door brightened when he saw Colton. "Ah! Young Trader! And you've brought a friend!" His wild white eyebrows raised as he looked me up and down. "Farmer, eh?"

"This is Jack."

"Pleased to meet you, young sir. The name's Matthias Z. Finklebat, founder of S.B. Manufacturing. Why don't you two come inside for a moment? These aren't the times to linger."

I followed Colton and. . . Mr. Finklebat. . . into a room that reminded me of Archibald's palace, based on its sheer size. Though not nearly as massive, this room, at least, seemed a lot more welcoming.

"So, what can I do you for?"

"We need information," Colton answered.

As they talked, my eyes wandered the light, airy space curiously. Odd little knick knacks sat on every shelf and table. Some of them immediately drew and held my gaze. These were, of course, the birds. They were beautifully carved, with ruffs of feathers and delicate bones made for flying. They were so life-like, with arrogance or love or exhilaration breathing through their expressions and frozen movements. And they were all made of steel. Every last one.

Now I knew who Colton had bought his clock gear bird from.

I unconsciously wandered closer to the one that looked to be in the middle of some spectacular dive and rubbed my finger over it.

Only, I couldn't feel anything. My finger was steel.

"Like it?" the old man asked, large green eyes glimmering behind even larger spectacles.

I nodded, not really noticing. Without looking, I knew my hands were metal now.

"Then it's yours."

I spun toward him. "Are you serious?"

"Rarely." His mouth was turned up in a wry smile. "But yes, I meant what I said. Consider it yours."

I looked back at the bird, letting my eyes run over its spread wings and half-closed eyes. This bird wasn't smart or talented or responsible. He wasn't even basking in the exhilaration of his dive. He was just. . . free. "But. . .but why?"

He shrugged. "I created Sun Beam Manufacturing to help beautify life. So, if you appreciate it half so much as your eyes say you do, it's yours."

If anyone had magic with metal, he did.

Then I realized the obvious problem, shoulders slumping. "I can't carry it," I said, voice cracking. I wasn't entirely sure how I'd let Skai walk off with my duffel without even realizing she still had it. I supposed my sleep-free nights were getting to me.

"Come back anytime," he said kindly. "And you can claim it."

I nodded, not sure how to thank him. He seemed to get the idea.

"So, now we get down to business." He rubbed his palm over his knuckles. "Information, you say? Let me guess. You want to know where the Farmer children are being kept."

My jaw dropped. "How'd you know?"

"Eh, I have my ways. I also know that your friend Skai is at the hospital and that there is a little someone in Colton's pocket."

"Then why'd you ask us what we needed?"

He shrugged. "I wasn't sure yet if you knew where they were being kept, and just came here wanting a tool to help you get in."

"Wait," Colton said. "Do you have any of those?"

I grinned. Things just kept getting better and better.

Matthias Z. Finklebat quirked a smile. "I may just. Excuse me a moment." He shuffled behind a desk and started searching the ground behind it.

Colton raised his eyebrows.

I nodded. It was definitely a good plan to try here first.

"I know it's here somewhere." He dropped into the chair behind the desk and started searching the drawers instead.

"Ah. Here we are." He emerged holding up a small, twisted, metal contraption. "Magnet Scrambler."

"What does it do?" I asked.

"Do you know what a magnet is?"

"Nope."

"Well, to put it simply, this device will attract the polices' guns and clubs, which both have the same metal compound in parts, if you tweak this little thing. If you wave it in front of one of their guns, it will mess with its nickel core and render it useless."

"Won't it also attract other metallic objects?" Colton asked.

Mr. Fincklebat shook his head. "Not this one. It's one of a kind."

I nodded slowly. "Didn't get much of that, but I'm sure I'll figure it out."

"Well I got it," Colton bragged.

"Great!" Matthias clapped his hands, scrambler and all.

Colton stepped up to claim it (I would have if I'd been able), but the man hesitated.

"This will be very dangerous, even with the Mag Scrambler. You sure you can't be dissuaded?"

"These are my friends we're talking about."

He sighed and handed it over. "Then I suppose you'll need to know where it is you'll be going."

I leaned forward.

"It is called Madame P. Noire's Stately Orphanage House."

I dropped from the air in shock, clanging loudly against the floor. What were the odds?!

Still, Knox and the guys needed me. Guess I was going to have to pay my aunt a visit after all.

A/N: Thanks for reading! Comment below: what did you like? Dislike? I'd love to hear from you!