Why can't I cry pretty? (2)

Riyah's POV

Ismail. He was always so calm and collection. A force to be reckoned with a charming demeanour. I stay hidden in the hallway. Its like my feet won't move. 

I hear the deafening sound of glass smashing and still my feet remain rooted to the floor. 'You finally got what you deserve' says Ismail filled with malice and hate.  

What the hell? 

'Izzy, wants going on?' I will myself to step forward. My voice comes out small and pathetic. 

'Nothing darling' I am terrified. 

'I....I-I don't believe you'. How can you be so rude?I want to yell at him at the top of my lungs. 

'He broke the vase' his reply is short and bitter. 

'The...this man babysat you for eighteen years?' I hate how nice my voice sounds. When did he become so cruel? 

'Are you seriously pissed about that?I cannot deal with you right now!' Ismail yells and I have tears spilling down my face. He doesn't even look at me when he storms off. 

I summon all my courage to speak as the servant stands still across me. 'D-does this happen often?' I ask. 

He nods. 'To everyone?' I have hope this is a one time thing. Inshallah it is.

His next words sent shivers down my spine, 'Especially women.' That is all it takes for me to start bolting out of this cursed estate. 

HOW!WHY? He never dated any girl.  He never fell in love with anyone. He never acted like he had a crush. He rejected when they pestered him. Why can't I cry pretty? Maybe that's why he walked away. Doesn't he know that I have no way to go home? 

I carry myself out my face ugly and red from all the crying. I already told my family I'll get a ride  so they can't come. My friends and my best friend, Yusra, love to gossip so they are a no. It never occurred to me how just how small my circle is. 

*3 hours later*

I climb up the pole near my bedroom window into my room. I get Yusra's text and remember our plans to go to the movies. My legs are killing me by the time I reach home. At least I stopped crying. I change my fancy clothes into a maxi dress with a top underneath and apply makeup to cover the redness. Yusra's picking me up at six, so there's plenty of time for a nap. I had to beg my parents to go out this late for almost a year until they finally said yes.  

I wake up to Ziyah screaming 'The gold-digging whore is here!'. My sister is referring to Yusra whose my best friend, the enemy of Ziyah and the cousin of Ismail. I move off the bed and run to the door outside. 

'What took you so long?' Yusra narrows her eyes at me.She sits comfortably in her red mini-cooper. 

'I'm sorry I fell asleep' I tell her honestly getting into the car.  

'Whatever, I'm putting on the music', the rest of the way we are screaming the lyrics of almost every Shawn Mendes song. Do I like him? Yes. But I'm more of a rap kind of girl. Nonetheless I continue signing until we reach the cinema. I promised her to be her best friend when we were around five.Thirteen years later I never strayed from my promise. 

'Damit! They are no parkings here' Yusra sounds annoyed and before I can tell her I see two free parkings in her direction, she reverses the car quickly and pulls us into the main road. 

I remain quiet. 'Riyah, get off here' she pulls over in a deserted street. I want to ask her why but instead look her way. 'We won't get the tickets in time. I really want to see the movie Riyah-' I don't hear the rest as I get out and start walking to the cinema. I really should buy pepper spray I make a mental note. My legs are killing me as I walk I hear footsteps behind me. I knew this was a bad idea. Why did I listen to Yusra? Why don't I ever speak?