Get In Shape For Your Sport!

After a summer of hanging with your besties and relaxing at the beach, the first weeks of fall preseason and getting back into shape can be grueling andtough!

But this year, start dominating two-a-days right away! In the second installment in a three-part series on how to get in gear for your upcoming season, we’re bringing you expert tips directly from the pros at IMG Academy. Last week, you heard how to get mentally prepared for your season, and this week, Jamie Allan, Physical Conditioning Coach at IMG Academy, tells you exactly how to get in fighting shape:

Be patient: If you’ve been putting it lots of hard work and aren’t seeing results, don’t worry about it! “Change doesn’t happen overnight,” said Allan. Be consistent in your workouts, stay focused, and you’ll start seeing them!

Don’t be afraid of the weight room: Sure, a room filled with lots of big guys doing dead lifts and clean-and-pressing weights is way intimidating, but don’t sweat it! Get in there anyway—lifting improves your performance on the field and helps prevent injuries. If you don’t want to go in there alone, grab one of your teammates, or ask your coach if you can reserve the room as a team.

Hit every majormuscle group: If working your abs is your fave, it’s easy to focus on those and forget about the other muscle groups—but that could be messing with your game, big time, said Allan. In addition to regular practices with the team, put in extra work on all the major muscle groups (legs, arms, shoulders, abs, and back) at least once a week!

You can get even more tips and a customized workout through DICK’s Day One program, a new online platform that helps your prepare for your sport, based on how many weeks until the season starts. Check it out here!

What’s your best tip for getting in shape? Sound off in the comments!

Written by  Macey Hall at seventeen.com