Chapter 4: The Little Things

"Once upon a time, an angel and a devil pressed their hands to their hearts, and started the apocalypse."

**************************

Beth heaved up her stomach contents one more time, wiping her mouth and spitting out the last bit of vomit in her throat. Flushing the toilet, she stood up on shaky legs to rinse her mouth out. She felt weak. As if she has just ran miles and gotten hit by a mental train. She felt groggy and tired. Like a fog had settled in her head and made its home there.

She felt hot. Too warm to be comfortable. The air conditioning was on, sure, but she still felt as if she was being cooked alive.

She changed into pants and a nice shirt, before walking down the stairs, tiptoeing past Moran's room, and closing the door as she stepped outside into the cool, moonlit night.

****************************

Moriarty Manor, as Beth affectionately nicknamed the large house that she had lived with James in, lived more on the outskirts of London. Not completely out of the city, but close enough that small shops and nice parks still dotted the scenery around the house. The streets were surprisingly quiet and empty, and the road she was walking down was mainly lit by the moon and the occasional streetlight. She kept her hands in her pockets, her head down, loving the way the cool, damp air felt on her skin. Her footsteps were surprisingly loud as she walked. But then again, on this entire walk, she had only maybe seen one other person. No one was around to stop the sound of her footsteps from echoing off the surrounding buildings.

She walked off the road, through a few alleyways, before climbing a fence. She knew where she was going. Beth had found this place while looking for a nice place to picnic with James. It was a nice little space of forest. Well, not exactly forest. It was more of a nice green field with patches of trees. But it was still a lovely place to sit down and relax.

She made it to the field, smiling as she saw the blanket that James had stashed in a tree the last time they had been there. It had been just about four months prior, and the blanket was covered in moss and bugs from the tree. Yet she didn't really care, and shook it out in order to shake out quite a bit of its debris. It was getting quite dark now, and fairly cold. Even though the blanket was still quite filthy, she wrapped it around her anyways. Looking down at the ground, she saw a little scrap of paper scattered along with the shaken out twigs and grass clippings.

Picking it up, she unfolded it, and read the familiar handwriting inside.

I'm sorry. I have to do this to protect you. I'm going to miss you, and all I want is for you to be alright when I leave you. I've told Tiger to keep you safe. I love you. I'll love you forever.

Always yours,

Jamie.

Beth blinked back tears. She hadn't seen that handwriting in months. That neat yet messy scrawl that showed her that it really was her James that wrote it.

She smiled, giving a sorrowful chuckle at the words. Oh, that was James alright. Always prepared for any outcome. Always leaving some guidance for her. The thought of him before he died made her tearfully smile. Oh, James. With his immaculate suits and neat hair. Both of which were always messy when he woke up in the morning, his arms around her torso, holding her close. He had always been so... Is territorial the right word?

No, it's not.

Actually, yes, territorial was the right word. But she loved it. It always made her feel loved. He made her feel needed. As if she was the one things keeping him together. Keeping him from breaking apart into a million different pieces. She kept him whole.