The first task

"Do you remember the plan?" Alex asked, hands wringing with nervous energy as she paced back and forth in the tent.

"The one we went over only a hundred times? Yes, I remember."

Kara tugged at the sleeves of her new competitors robes. They were black, with a Hufflepuff yellow long-sleeved undershirt. It was a small comfort for her to be in her house colours. She could almost pretend she was gearing up for a quidditch match, and not about to face a giant, angry, fire-breathing dragon. She grimaced as a wave of nausea rioted in her stomach at the thought.

She opened her eyes to see Alex standing in front of her, hands placed bracingly on her shoulders. "You can do this, Kara. I believe in you, so much," she said firmly. "I know I never knew them, but your parents...they would be saying the same thing."

Heat pricked at the backs of her eyes and Kara swallowed at a lump in her throat. It was much too early to start crying, but Alex sure was making it difficult not to.

"Thank you, Alex," Kara mumbled into Alex's shoulder when she pulled her into a hug.

"If you get scared and you want out, just look at me, okay? Just look at me, and I'll get you out, I promise," Alex said fiercely as she squeezed her to her chest.

"I'm pretty sure that's against the rules..."

"Do you think I care?"

A wet laugh bubbled out past Kara's lips and she tucked her head into the crook of her sister's neck. "Love you, Al."

"I love you too, Kar. So much."

Kara tilted her eyes up over Alex's shoulder to see Lex and Lena huddled on the other side of the tent, heads pressed together as they whispered intensely between each other. They spoke with such keen focus, for all Kara knew their conversation was less about the first task and more about planning world domination.

When Professor Grant came in telling them it was time for their loved ones to join the other students in the stands, Kara didn't want to let go. Reluctantly, Alex pried herself from Kara's grip and gave her an assuring smile before she followed Lena out of the tent.

Kara inhaled shakily, wringing her hands out as nerves battled in her stomach. This was how she'd felt before last year's quidditch final, only about ten times worse. She was running her plan over in her mind when she heard an insistent whispering sound coming from the corner of the tent nearest to her.

"Psst. Psst!"

Kara frowned and approached the wall, ducking her head down close to the fabric. She could see the silhouette of a person on the other side.

"Kara, is that you?"

Kara blinked in surprise at the voice. "Lena? What are you doing here?"

"Lex says I'm not supposed to talk to you."

"Do you always do what Lex says?"

"Obviously not."

"Just not when he's looking, right?"

An exasperated sigh came from the other side of the tent, and Kara had a brief moment of panic thinking she'd pushed too far and Lena had left.

"Kara, please," Lena said, strained. "I just wanted to wish you luck. I know we're on opposite sides now, but...I really hope you don't get roasted out there."

The blood drained from Kara's face and she choked a little on her own spit. "Thank you for that visual, Lena. Truly," she said weakly.

Lena chuckled softly, and Kara sighed, closing her eyes at the pleasant sound. The tent wall rustled and the flap at the corner lifted up slightly.