fifteen

Ray Brower's body was found. But neither their gang or Ace's gang got the credit. In the end, they decided that an anonymous phone call was the best thing to do. 

They headed back home. And although many thoughts raced through their minds, they barely spoke. Chris and Max stayed close the entire time, holding hands the whole way back home. They walked through the night, and made it back to Castle Rock a little past five o'clock on Sunday morning, the day before Labor Day. They'd only been gone two days, but somehow the town seemed different, smaller.

They walked until they reached the middle of town, where Teddy and Vern split ways.

"Well," Vern said, "See you in school." 

"Yeah," Chris, Gordie and Max said.

"See you in High School," Teddy added. and with that, Vern made his way back home. While crossing the street, Vern found something on the ground and picked it up.

"Penny!" The four chuckled, and watched as Vern walked away. 

"Guys, I better get home before my mom puts me on Ten Most Wanted list," Teddy said. He began to walk away, until he stopped and turned around again.

"Hey Chris? Max? No hard feelings, okay?" 

"No way man," Chris replied.

"Yeah, no hard feelings," Max smiled. Teddy then walked his way home, singing 'The Ballad of Paladin.' 

"Hey Chris?" Max asked.

"What's up?" Chris replied.

"Would you mind walking me home?" 

"Of course not, but let's just walk to the tree house with Gordie so we can say goodbye." Max nodded, and the three of them walked to the tree house, where Gordie, Max and Chris would part ways.

The area where their tree house was, it had the best view of all Castle Rock. When they reached the tree house, they all stood at the hill, looking over the town.

"I'm never gonna get outta this town, am I?" Chris said.

"You can do anything you want, man," Gordie replied, looking at him.

"Yeah, I just know you'll get out. You'll find a way," Max added, rubbing his forearm. 

"Yeah, sure," Chris said dryly. They stayed silent for a while, just wanting their adventure to never end. They knew that when it did, things wouldn't be the same, for better or for worse. 

"Here," Chris said, looking over at Gordie, "Give me some skin." Chris and Gordie 'skinned it.'

"I'll see ya," Gordie said.

"Not if I see you first," Chris replied.

"Bye Gordo," Max said, giving him a hug, "Thanks for inviting me to your tree house and helping me meet my best friends." Gordie chuckled, and hugged Max tighter.

"I'm glad you decided to come with me." Max and Gordie let go, and she grabbed a hold of Chris' hand. The three then waved at each other goodbye, and parted ways.

Chris and Max stayed silent the whole way walking to Max's house, but their hands never let go. They had finally reached to what they had been dreading, Max's home. They both stopped a the the front of it, and Chris grabbed both of Max's hands.

"You know, I had a good time," Chris said, his ocean blue eyes looking at hers.

"Yeah," Max choked, "Me too."

"Hey, why are you upset?" 

"I-I don't know," Max said, resting her head on Chris' chest, "It's hard to say goodbye."

"This isn't a goodbye," Chris lifted up Max's chin, "I can come over tomorrow if you'd like, and I'll see you at school." Max nodded wearily, and engulfed Chris into a big hug.

"I'm so glad I met you," She said, muffled into Chris' chest. 

"I'm so beyond glad Max, you have no idea," Chris pulled away from the hug, and gently placed his hands onto her cheeks. Simultaneously, they both leaned in, and their lips met. They held the kiss for longer than they should have, but they didn't care. They never wanted it to stop. 

They finally let go, and Max started to walk up her driveway. 

"Max! Wait!" Chris called from the end of the driveway. she turned around quickly, and stopped walking. "Friday, would you wanna go on a date with me? A real one?" Max smiled, and nodded.

"I'd be more than happy." Chris then blew a kiss goodbye, and watched as Max walked up her front steps and into her home.

I know this is super short, and I'm sorry, but I didn't really know what else to add? Anyway, the next chapter is gonna be the last one and I'm so incredibly sad because I love this story so much and I never want to stop writing it :( I've completely fallen in love with Chris and Max's love story they are just two lil beans :') Okay I'm gonna go, get ready for the last chapter because I know I'm not oops