Chapter 14: The Final Pair

I was sitting on the bench next to the Roselia fountain in Santalune, admiring my new badge. My Pokémon were currently resting together. I glanced around, noticing that I had room for two more. Before I stood up, I put my badge away. My Pokémon noticed me walk over, so they immediately perked up. 

"I think we should get some more teammates," I told them. "What do you guys think?"

They let out approving cries and gave me quick nods. 

We all made our way onto Route 22, and I surveyed the area. I could hear different Pokémon cries, but none of them wanted to come out. I walked around the tall grass for a little bit until a wild Azurill popped out. I pulled a Pokéball out of my bag, fully knowing that this Azurill was going to be mine. 

"Let's do this thing!" I exclaimed as I threw the Pokéball. "Go, Pokéball!"

As usual, the Pokéball soared through the air and hit the Pokémon on the head. Azurill was zapped into the Pokéball and it was caught. The Azurill was a female, so I named her Blueberry. Her Pokéball quickly faded out of existence and the all too familiar zap rang though my ears once again. 

Well, that was quick. 

Just before I could react, a Pokéball returned into my hand. I wondered why it came so quickly this time. Before I could wonder anything else, the Pokéball opened up to reveal a small Wurmple. As it began to mingle with the other Pokémon, I scanned it with my Pokédex as I usually do. 

He was a male, level 3, and had an Adamant nature. Wurmple also had his German name. So..he wasn't really a Wurmple, but a Waumpel. I glanced over at my new Pokémon, who was now inching his way towards me.

"Welcome to the team, Waumpel," I saw his head tilt a little bit when I greeted him. "We're going to get you a partner soon. I don't want you to be inching around with no one to look after you."

He gave me a small, slow nod before we all made our way to the gate of Route 4. 

"Oh you... You are, aren't you?" A sudden feminine voice made me turn around. "You're one of the kids who got a Pokémon from Augustine Sycamore, right?" 

I gave the woman a small, uncertain nod. 

"Would you look at that! You got a Bug Badge! Looks like I might have a new scoop," She said. "To beat Viola at your young age... You really are something, aren't you?"

"Um.."

"Oh! Sorry, I never did introduce myself, did I?" I gave her another a nod. "I'm Alexa. The Gym Leader you just faced, Viola, is my younger sister. I work as a journalist myself. Here, why don't you take this to celebrate your first Badge!"

She walked towards me and handed me an Exp. Share. I gave her a smile as I thanked her. Alexa told me that she worked at a big publishing house in Lumoise City, and I could feel fee to stop by any time. I nodded before she walked away. 

My Pokémon and I finally entered Route 4. The route had a lovely aroma, probably from all of the flowers. I suddenly heard a rustling from a patch of flowers, and I saw a Ledyba fly out. I glanced at Croagunk, who gave me a nod and jumped forward.

"Croagunk, Potion Sting!" 

He launched a poison coated stinger towards the Ledyba without hesitaton. The Ledyba let out a cry of pain before an angry look appeared on its face. It then generated odd sound waves, which made Croagunk confused. 

"Croagunk, use Poison Sting once more!" 

Fortunately, he didn't hit himself in confusion. I glanced at the Ledyba, who seemed to be weakened enough to catch. I pulled out a Pokéball out of my bag, and I knew that it was going to be my next capture of the day.

"Come on!" I threw the Pokéball at the Ledyba. "Go, Pokéball!"

It was quickly absorbed into the ball and it was caught. The Ledyba was also female, so I ended up naming her Pepper. As soon as I picked up Pepper's Pokéball, it faded out of my and as the zap rang throughout my ears again. 

I let out a sigh as I was waiting for it to appear.

What was taking it so long again?

Finally, the ball appeared in my hand. It automatically opened, and the bright glow faded away to reveal a Gloom. Waumpel inched closer to it, but he quickly inched away once he smelled it. I looked at my other Pokémon, who reacted in a similar way.

However, I didn't smell anything out of the ordinary.

I knew that Gloom was well-known for its foul smell, so why didn't I smell anything?

I pushed away the thought as I scanned Gloom with my Pokédex.