Chapter 13: Enter Viola!

After what seemed to be forever, we had finally got the training done. Everyone, including Zigzagoon and Croagunk, were leveled up for the oncoming battles. We all made our way to the gym and I had glanced down at Zigzagoon and Croagunk.

"You two have been working really hard, and I'm really proud of that!" I told them. "However, I'm going to need you to return to your Pokéballs since I don't want to overwork you, okay?"

They nodded and returned to their Pokéballs without hesitation.

I put them away and I looked down at Gonyonyo and Seviper giving me approving looks. I assumed that they were proud of me for moving forward even though Jello had disappeared. I decided to say one last thing before we entered the gym.

"Well, Gonyonyo, Seviper, we're at our first gym," I said. "Are we ready to keep moving forward like we promised?"

They both cheered in their own ways and I smiled brightly at them. I turned to face the gym, ready to face whatever challenge came my way. I took a deep breath before I finally entered the first gym.

It was like a museum. Large pictures of different bug type Pokémon were hung on the wall. A pole stood in the middle of the room with a large, deep hole below it. There was a man in overalls standing there, and I decided to speak to him.

"Hi there," I greeted.

"What's the hustle, little Crustle? Welcome to Santalune City Gym!" He gave me a smile. "So, future Champ, this'll be your first time challenging a Gym, huh?"

I gave him a nod as I gave him a smile.

I already liked him.

"Are you thrilled? Are you pumped?" He said. "You should be! No worries here! You've got Pokémon by your side! And really, they're the ones who are gonna be doing all the battling. Am I right or am I right? Right?"

The man then turned to face the pole.

"Jump on that poke there, and you'll be on your way to where the Gym Leader's a-waitn' for you!" He exclaimed. "Whoops! But wait! Before you go, I'm supposed to tell you something! Everyone in this Pokémon Gym uses Bug-type Pokémon. Got it?"

I nodded, already knowing that, but I appreciated him telling me!

We all made our way to the pole. Looking down, all you could see was darkness. Letting out a sigh, I had Gonyonyo and Seviper return to their Pokéballs. I jumped onto the pole, which was slick and slippery. I let out an alarmed yelp when I immediately fell directly onto some sort of spider web.

There was only thing I could do at that moment but follow the thread.

I ended up running into a youngster during my wandering, and he sent out a Ledyba. It went down with out a fight to Seviper's Poison Tail. Other trainers ended up challenging us as well, but they weren't really any problem for Seviper to deal with either.

Finally, I came across Viola herself.

Before we I walked onto her platform, I clutched Seviper's Pokéball in my hand, whispering a quiet thank you. Viola was staring at me by the time I made it to her platform, which was a little strange. Then, she decided to speak.

"That determined expression... That glint in your eye says you're up to the challenge..." Viola mused. "It's fantastic! Just fantastic! Is this your first time challenging a Gym?"

I nodded.

"Fantastic!" She exclaimed. "Whether it's the tears of frustration that follow a loss or the blossoming of joy that comes with victory... They're both great subjects for my camera! Fantastic! This'll be just fantastic!"