F O U R

"They should be arriving soon." Alan told us all as he took a glimpse at his watch, "Your brother should have been here a while ago to help with the gathering." Alan was my, Ella's, and Josh's stepdad. He was a cool guy.

My body tensed again for the second time that day and I continued sweeping the floor, "Would you call him, darling?" Alan asked me.

"Uhm...sure." I shrugged. I picked up my phone and dialed the number I knew by heart. One ring. Two. Three. Many more before a voice mail popped up. I let out a breath of relief. Thank god.

"Didn't answer?" Alan asked me.

"No." I told him.

"Hmmmmm." He said and that meant he was disappointed. We all knew where Jake was. Alan wouldn't say it aloud.

I was lost in thought and assumption. The doorbell rang and I jumped. Alan laughed at me before answering the door, "Robbie!" My sister squealed and threw herself into his arms, "Can you believe we're married?!"

"I can and it's amazing."

I lipped along with the two. I knew their words by heart. Ella always asked that question. Robbie always answered with the same thing. I rolled my eyes and made a disgusted noise. Robbie laughed at me and pecked my sister on the lips. Her arms wrapped around his waist as they gazed deep into each other's eyes. I wasn't sure what Robbie's back Story was but Ella had told me it wasn't good. I believed it hadn't been good but the way Ella and Robbie gazed at each other...

You'll have a good life now..I thought as I stared at my sister's smiling and happy face..

ℛℳ

I quickly handed my aunt the bowl of popcorn and she began inhaling it like a pig. I said as such and she snorted drawing laughter from my chest. The football game was on and the men cheered when their favorite team made a touchdown. The mothers and women were idly gossiping in the kitchen drinking red wine or white wine. Michelle was out back with her feet in the pool, flitting with mister blonde— the one she'd snuck off with the other night.

I grabbed someone's empty plate and took it off to the sink. I ran it through the soapy water and scrubbed it clean before setting it inside of the dishwasher. My mom squeezed my shoulder as she passed to grab a bag of chips. I smiled and gave her a nod, "Remember, we can always clean up after the party. Have some fun." She whispered. I nodded as she twirled a piece of my hair between her fingers.

She walked away and handed the bag of chips to one of her friends.

The doorbell rang just as one of the men shouted, "Who wants to go swimming?!"

"I got it!" I told everyone as I walked to the door, "Mmmmm, get it girl!" My aunt shimmied and winked at me. I gave her a small smile and pulled the door open. My head turned and I dropped the glass cup I was holding. It landed on my toe.

"Motherfucker!" I snapped and grabbed my foot, "Goddamnit!"

I heard my aunt laugh in the background, "It's not funny!" I snapped over my shoulder. I rolled my eyes.

Jax stood, impassive, in front of me, "W-What are you doing here?" I asked, my head cocking to the side. His look didn't change. I looked over my shoulder and at the people laughing until my eyes locked on Robbie's happy form, "Right!" I said, "Uh.." I stood aside and opened the door wider. Suddenly the 50 dollars in my pocket became even heavier, "Wait!" I pushed him back outside and the door slammed shut with the force of the pull, "Sorry and here." I slammed the 50 bucks into his chest, "I don't want your...money." I grimaced.

"Why." He demanded, probably not really caring.

"Because..." I gave him a look of disbelief, "I'm not a.." I lowered my voice and looked over my shoulder, "I'm not a slut!" I hissed, "I'm a 17 year old high school girl and last night was a mistake! You don't pay a 17 year old for giving you sex! Especially if you know it was a mistake. Look, just take your money and act like you don't remember me." I turned around but his hand locked around my wrist. His lips slammed into mine as I twirled around. My hands locked within his hair and I gave the strands a tug as his hands roamed my waist. He pulled away, his knuckle stroking down my cheek.

"To shut you up." He told me and opened the door to my house, breezing his way inside as if it were his own. I stood there, stunned before turning and following him inside.

"Hey, brother!" Robbie stood up and clasped his hand with Jax's before pulling him into a bro hug, "You remember my woman, don't ya."

Jax nodded, a crooked and fake smile adorning his face—those perfect teeth not showing.

The party spread on into the night and I found myself gazing at the pool longingly but as I went to take a step towards the sliding doors, the front door swung open. Jake came stumbling in. He was pissed.

My mom grabbed me and pushed me beside her just as everything went quiet. Everyone stared at Jake and his heaving chest, "Why er you...hidin' my sisyer..from me!!" He slurred and swayed on his feet, "C'mere, Riley!" He barked.

I shook and went to take a step forward, on impulse. on instinct. My mother wrenched me back, "Jake, enough!"

"You left me and dad...behind!" Jake snapped, "I want Riley back! Gimme my sister!" I shouted.

"Mom." I said softly. She looked over her shoulder and furrowed her brows at my look. I side stepped my mom and walked towards my brother. He flung his arms around me and started to sob. I sighed and rubbed his back, "C'mon." I told him and lead him to the back patio. I grabbed a cup of water on the way.

I sat him down at the edge of the pool and took his shoes off. He rested them within the cool water. I did the same after kicking my flip flops off. We were silent, Jake's tears making small ripples in the pool.

"Dad's gotten worse. He doesn't remember me. He lashes out and..kicks my ass." Jake told me. I handed him the cup of water and wrapped my arms around his shoulders, my chin resting on his left one. I was staring at the side of his face. Waiting. Listening, "I've missed you so much, Riley." He told me and nuzzled his head against my forehead. His curly brown hair tickling my skin.

"I know." I told him, pushing a piece of hair from his eyes, "Everything's going to be okay."

He nodded once. Twice.

"Everything okay?" Robbie asked from behind us. His brother stood behind him. Watching as my hand rubbed up and down Jake's back.

"Yeah. Everything's fine." I said. I was pushed away from Jake as he snapped up.

"No! Everything's not fine!" He snapped at me. His hand pulled back and I didn't register the sting until a few moments after Jake had hit me. Had I fallen to the ground because of shock? Or because Jake had hit me so hard? I felt blood swell at the base of my elbows and I blinked and tried to gain attention to the world around me. Someone lifted me up. Hands linked under my arms. I stumbled backwards, the same hands steadying me. My head tilted up to see the emotionless face of Jax. I didn't feel anything but shock for what had just happened.

A smack against skin and I turned to see my brother stumbling back, "No!" I screamed, "Stop! He-He didn't mean it!" I shoved away from Jax's hold and I crouched by Jake, "I'm sorry." I whispered to him as he cradled his face. A son escaped his lips.

"I'm sorry." I whispered.

Always apologizing for something I'd never done...