Chapter 3

S̮̳̯̥̦̠̳͂ͫ̅̒̒̏̚͢ò̰̈́̄͗͆f̗͚̻͍͉͒͋̌̉͑͐̂t̮͛͑ͬ̒̔̓w͙ͤ̄̉̉̓̏a̹͓͙̯̭͓̣ͪͦ̅̐̐ṛ̨̻͎ͦ͋̉e̥̐͑ ̴͓͖̙̻̋̀̔ͦI̩̻̬̭̠̽́̀n̵̼̣̻͓̲͓ͪͅs̮̟̝̹̒͜ͅt̰̲̯ȧͫ̐ḃ͇̮̟̭ͅi̮͎̱̜̖͚͐ͬl̨̲͂ͭͯ̉ͦͦ̇ȉ̺̭̙̰̻̬͇̌ͩt͍̫̺͎̣̽̀y͙̭͈ͭ͊

DATE
NOV 6TH, 2038

TIME
AM 10:04:38

Connor and I walked through the doors of the police department in unison.

[ Look for Lieutenant Anderson ]
  - Go to reception

CONNOR
TRUSTED

HANK
NEUTRAL

I walked forwards towards an ST300 model receptionist who had just finished dealing with a civilian. The RK800 remained in tow as I spoke with the woman-imitating android.

"Can I help you?" It asked politely.

"We're here to see Lieutenant Anderson." I state.

"Do you have authorisation?"

"Yes."

I connect to the model, who confirms my authorisation and wait for Connor to do the same. After a moment, the receptionist speaks back up. "Lieutenant Anderson hasn't arrived yet, but you can wait at his desk."

[ Look for Lieutenant Anderson ]
  - Authorisation granted
  - Find the lieutenant's desk

Connor lead the way towards the department's entrance, and I payed little attention to the broadcast on the television above, discussing the tension in the arctic between this country and the same one it engaged in the cold war with decades ago: Russia. A PM700 was guarding the gates as we walked through the one with yellow patterns on, depicting the area we were about to enter as restricted. A few metres further and the RK800 was speaking with another PM700.

"We're looking for Lieutenant Anderson's desk." He said, the request within the statement.

"It's that desk right there." She answered, raising her hand and pointing to a desk near the windowed wall of the department, covered with many trinkets of perhaps obvious emotional value to the police lieutenant.

Connor began to pace over to it, while I muttered a 'thank you' before I continued following him. We walked past a magazine open on an article about robotic parenting, though neither of us actually looked at it, and then reached our partner's desk, seeing his name plate on the edge of it.

[ Lieutenant has not arrived]

[ Wait for Lieutenant Anderson ]
  - Explore new office
  - Progress the case
          ~ Go see the deviant

"Excuse me." Connor pardoned, getting the attention of another officer at a desk not too far in front of Hank's. "Do you know what time Lieutenant Anderson usually arrives?"

The officer turned to face us briefly, before smiling as if he was about to crack a joke. It turns out he was.

"Depends on where he was the night before..." I didn't say it would be a good joke, however. He continued, "if we're lucky, we'll see him before noon..."

"Thanks." My counter-part accepted. I leaned back against the lieutenant's desk while Connor decided to take a seat on a chair to the side of it. I couldn't exactly pinpoint why, but the way he was sitting looked very awkward. Perhaps it was the way he kept his hands in his lap rather than using the armrests, or that he didn't lean back into the seat at all, instead keeping a perfectly straight posture.