Chapter 4

S̮̳̯̥̦̠̳͂ͫ̅̒̒̏̚͢ò̰̈́̄͗͆f̗͚̻͍͉͒͋̌̉͑͐̂t̮͛͑ͬ̒̔̓w͙ͤ̄̉̉̓̏a̹͓͙̯̭͓̣ͪͦ̅̐̐ṛ̨̻͎ͦ͋̉e̥̐͑ ̴͓͖̙̻̋̀̔ͦI̩̻̬̭̠̽́̀n̵̼̣̻͓̲͓ͪͅs̮̟̝̹̒͜ͅt̰̲̯ȧͫ̐ḃ͇̮̟̭ͅi̮͎̱̜̖͚͐ͬl̨̲͂ͭͯ̉ͦͦ̇ȉ̺̭̙̰̻̬͇̌ͩt͍̫̺͎̣̽̀y͙̭͈ͭ͊

DATE
NOV 6TH, 2038

TIME
AM 10:13:21

[ Progress the case ]
  - Listen to briefing

CONNOR
DISTRUSTED

HANK
WARM

Without much thought, I trailed the two, suddenly 'feeling' like 'myself' again. My entire thought process had reset and I found myself caring little for the scene which had just passed. Rounding the corner at last, I quickly made my way to the Captain's office, closing the door behind me as Lieutenant Anderson sat at the desk. I stood by Connor as Captain Fowler began the 'briefing'.

"I've got ten new cases involving androids on my desk every day." He announced. "We've always had isolated incidents, old ladies losing their androids and that kind of crap..." The man clarified, sounding rather peaceful. "But now, we're getting reports of assaults and even homicides, like that guy last night..." Fowler finished with a more serious tone. "This isn't just CyberLife's problem anymore. It's now a criminal investigation and we've gotta deal with it before the shit hits the fan.

"I want you to investigate these cases and see if there's any link."

"Why me?" Hank asked, seemingly annoyed. "Why do I gotta be the one to deal with this shit?" Clearly, he was annoyed. Far more 'peeved' than a detective who simply disliked androids or didn't want to attempt to handle a case this big or serious. There must be a deeper reason as to why he despises androids, probably an emotionally embedded and personal one.

Perhaps asking about it may not be a good idea until a higher level of trust has been established between us.

That is, if we continue to work with him. He seems very keen to get off of the case.

"I am the least qualified cop in the country to handle this case!" He exclaims. While this was not factually true, it was clearly a metaphorical exaggeration Hank used in an attempt to further illustrate his... discontent. "I know jack shit about androids, Jeffrey! I can barely change the settings on my own phone..."

"Everybody's overloaded. I think you're perfectly qualified for this type of investigation." The Captain retorted, raising his hands to emphasise his determination.

"Bullshit!" Hank virtually interrupted. "The truth is nobody wants to investigate these fuckin' androids and you left me holdin' the bag!" He went on to accuse.

"CyberLife sent over these androids to help with the investigation." Fowler gave, trying to reassure the lieutenant with another approach. "They are state-of-the-art prototypes. They'll both act as your partners."

"No fuckin' way! I don't need a partner, never-fucking-mind two of them, and certainly not two plastic pricks!" Hank immediately shut down. It was undeniably clear that the lieutenant held a vendetta against us. Perhaps if he was only assigned one partner he would be more cooperative.

"Hank, you are seriously starting to piss me off! You are a police lieutenant, you are supposed to do what I say and shut your goddamn mouth!" Hank's superior snapped.

Hank's response wasn't much more polite.

"You know what my goddamn mouth has to say to you, huh?"

"Okay, okay..." The Captain raised his hand, trying to stop Hank's onslaught of denial and insults. "I'll pretend like I didn't hear that, so I don't have to add any more pages to your disciplinary folder 'cause it already looks like a fuckin' novel! This conversation is over!" He threatened.