Prologue: Maybe

-February 7th, 2007. 6:18 P.M. 1 Day Earlier from Chapter 9 and 10 of Book 1-

There was a silence that hung in the air while neither of them had any idea what to do. What to say. Barely able to hold onto the phones in their hands nevermind keep it up by their ear.

"She asked to see you."

"She asked to see me..." Hayley echoed back to the voice in her ear, of her boyfriend once he repeated himself for the sake of emphasis. A part of her missed him but the other part was still relieved she had time away from him. That he wasn't breathing down her neck about what she should and shouldn't be doing. Nevertheless she still loved him and wanted to make this work.

But he isn't her main focus. He shouldn't be at least. Sitting on the foot of her bed. All Hayley could think about was her daughter. Over and over. Whether it was the memories of feeling her baby growing and moving within her. Holding her for those precious few minutes and welcoming her into the world once she was born. The years that went by without her... Or thinking of who she is now. That her daughter, after all these years wants to see her.

Honestly, Hayley would frequently imagine meeting her daughter. But she never expected to do so under those names. As mother and daughter.

Yet here she was.

"I'm so excited for you, Hayley. I didn't lead her into thinking about you, she thought of it and started asking questions on her own." Josh explains eagerly, Hayley able to hear the smile in his voice, proving his excitement. "I only asked if she wanted to maybe talk on the phone with you or know your name."

Again she froze, turning her head down and away. "D-does she want to talk to me? I... I can, I'd love to..." Stuttering nervously. Tracing the small line on her stomach. Barely noticeable over the years unless you leaned in really close or stared for a long while. Why would you do any of that though?

Josh sighs, the soft and broken up sound of wind chimes cutting in and out when the phone is able to pick it up. "No, don't worry. She didn't want any of it because she didn't want any expectations." She could just imagine him pacing and smiling with a hand in his pocket. He said earlier he was standing on the back porch. Hmph, that would be a first. Someone who didn't want to have or already had some sort of expectation of her...

Once she snapped out of her thoughts and daydreams she jumped into action. Immediately finding her laptop, scooting backward and further into her bed, sitting it on top of said lap as the name of the device would imply and flipped it open. Revealing both screen and keyboard. Good thing she had left it on earlier.

Though her eyes settled first on the webpage she was reading before he called, she instantly clicked it off and began searching for the soonest flight she could find from Nashville to wherever the hell in Connecticut. Expense mattered little to her. If she has to ride in the back of a truck or shoot herself in a cannon to get there then she will do whatever it takes. This was her daughter, damnit.

"I told her you weren't not here because you didn't want to be. That you'd climb into a cannon if need be."

"Ha" Hayley laughed once with a small smile, "funny you say that. 'Cause I was just thinking..."

Josh chuckled softly, knowingly. It still amazed him how in sync they were when it came to Amy. Maybe... Maybe Amy will be the thing that brings them back together and mends their slowly failing relationship. But he wouldn't allow himself to even remotely change how he viewed Amy and his relationship with her. She was his daughter, first and foremost. He was her father.

Hayley's search only took a few moments and that's merely because she spent a little extra time digging around for any sooner flights, maybe even one that left tonight. However the soonest she could get her hands on with such short notice is tomorrow afternoon. "I can be there tomorrow around five and five-thirty at the earliest." Informing to her quiet and patient boyfriend.