Chapter 7: New Name, Same Me

I saw a comment from way earlier in the month asking for an update. Finally found time to follow-up. Here ya go.

P.s super lengthy and personal authors note at the bottom if anyone cares.

_____________________________________________________________________________

-April 22nd, 2007. Sunday, 5:48 P.M. Three weeks, three days later-

"I know, hun..." Momma Hayley sighs softly, apologetically. "It's a huge bummer for us too. Next tour though, I promise." Propping her head on her arms, on the table in what I'm guessing is their big bus they travel in.

It's weird doing this video thing, but she showed me how to use it and the laptop a bunch before she left. She showed Momma Gwyn too and we started doing this when her and Josh went back home to Tennessee. By the time they left for tour I was able to do this on my own. Even coordinated with Momma Hayley and Dad without needing any help.

The look on Momma Gwyn's face when she came home from the store to see me in the kitchen, on the laptop, talking to Daddy was amazing.

Looking up at Momma Gwyn cooking dinner. Some kind of cheeseburger macaroni kinda thing. Kinda. Like, you make it with ground beef...

She doesn't make me get off the laptop for dinner when I'm talking to them though, so I'm not concerned. "Did you wear that shirt you made the other day during the show last night?" I ask Momma Hayley curiously. Unintentionally copying her, resting my head in my arms on the table.

With a smile and a hum so soft the mic almost doesn't pick it up, the little nod she gives the only proof I have that it was a "uh-huh" sounding hum. "Was comfier than you'd expect." Propping her head in her hand instead. Flicking her hair from her eyes. "Hey, so you want me to make you a shirt too, yeah? Do you want me to wait for you and we'll make it together?" Her thoughtfulness leaving me all sorts of warm and fuzzy. That and she actually remembered I said I wanted her to. Why that's still amazing to me, I honestly have no idea.

It's still something I'm wrapping my head around. Their band, their music, just... them. But I'm definitely more comfortable with the idea of them than I was a month or so ago. "That sounds cool, momma..." Unable to stop myself from smiling a little. Drawing all over a t-shirt, making it super cool, throwing it in her face to make a run for her cheez-its...

Hayley laughs a little, leaving me to wonder if she read my mind. "That's our plan then." Tapping her fingers along the edge of the table. Clearly diving deep into a swirling pool of thought before letting them form words and leave her mouth. "A little bird, as in, my fellow mom, told me you haven't told your friend Sam yet..." Pursing her lips together. Only looking away from the screen when two people walk up behind her.

Muttering a quiet "not now, Jerm" before one of them leans down in front of her, facing the screen. "Hi, bub!" Josh grins, flashing his best goofy face

"Hi, Dad." Chuckling a little before Momma Hayley pushes his head out of the way and out of view. Not so subtly glaring up at him, but scooting into the booth and making room for him to sit anyway. The other person walking past them and out of view completely.

Carly literally running into the kitchen, to the counter where Momma Gwyn is making food. Hands on the counter to balance herself as she bounces impatiently. Our shared parent mentioning homework reminding me that I totally skipped mine... Whoops.

"Earth to daughter, come in..." Hayley making that radio hissing noise at the end, hand over her mouth for sound effect. My eyes snapping back to the screen. "You're not getting out of this by floating away into the clouds, honey. Stay grounded." Raising her eyebrows knowingly.