xxxi

Sorn
3:42 AM

Hwitaek walked me to the train platform where I'll catch my train. His will come a little earlier. We walked hand in hand in silence. Finally, he breaks it. "I'm going to continue music." He said and I looked at him wide-eyed. He laughed. "I know it sounds crazy but I'll find a way. I don't think I could go on with my life without doing music."

I smiled widely. "Look at you," I said. "That's the spirit."

"Sorn?"

"Yes?"

"You should, too." He said, locking my gaze with his. "Do what makes you feel alive." He added, "If I learned anything today, one of them is that life is really damn short and us, humans, can die in an instant in so many ways possible. So, if there's something that you really want do, don't let anyone or anything stop you from doing it."

I pulled him close again. I can't seem to get enough of him. I don't want to let him go, but then an announcement of train arrivals suddenly filled the station. Tears sprang in my eyes as he pulled away.

"Here, you dropped it earlier." He said. I looked down and he was holding my eyeglasses. He wiped my tears away from my cheeks and put the eyeglasses on me. "You're beautiful too—even with eyeglasses."

I thought, Sorn, say something, you idiot. This could be the last time you're ever going to see him. But my heart was heavy and I felt like I would just cry more.

He pulled me in another hug, caressing the back of my head. "I have to go." He said.

I just nodded, still not able to speak.

He smiled and kissed my forehead. "I might miss the train again. I'll see you again, Sorn. I promise."

I don't believe in promises, but I want to believe his.

And then finally, he walked away from me. "Wait!" I managed to say and he turned back almost immediately. I ran towards him and pressed my lips on his once more. I cupped his cheek with my hand and looked into his eyes through my glasses. I didn't know what to tell him, but before I could think of anything else, the words were out of my mouth—"You changed my life in one night."

He smiled, tears blossoming in his eyes too. "Can we introduce ourselves to each other again?" He asked.

And I nodded, extending my hand towards his. "Chonnasorn Sajakul. People call me Sorn. You can call me your angel, or hero, or your knight in shining armor." I said with a choked laugh.

He took my hand and shook it. "Lee Hwitaek. The guy you're going to meet again someday."

We smiled at each other and it felt final. "It's been nice meeting you." We told each other in sync. And it is.

Hwitaek turned his back on me as his train was announced once more. I followed him until he appears again on the opposite side of the platform. We held each other's gaze in the distance. And then his train came and covered him until he was gone.

My breath hitched. I tried to find him through the windows and then he appeared again, waving with a sad and happy smile at the same time. I waved back at him.

And then, the boy who changed my life forever was gone.