Chapter 8: Caught

They both ran at the same distance. But with a different purpose and a different intention.

Nina's sadness had her heart resisting going any further, yet she still throttled, not to any momentum left in her.

She was strong, yet defiant, and in her own world, where she controlled its nature. On the contrary, she was also knowledgeable of anyone else's atmosphere, sub-conscious of their conduct and behavior. She was like Venus; unique, under pressure from heat, silent and had trusted that next to her was someone who was suffering the same as her. Right now she wished to be more of a star. A star that could still be attractive, but still have its individual space and be far from ruckus.

A star.

Like a loose chain, he didn't want to let go off, Jason kept on her tail wherever she went. Nina fought and fought her legs to soar longer threads and faster motions.

Then, the rough sidewalk, only in sight from the streetlights guiding the way. They passed near resident's borders, a few stores and parlors and even a bar where the eyes of a father had caught his son chasing after her right there as he was in the parking lot, getting his keys out of his pockets.

Nina was headed for the junkyard.

Entering a nearby gate, she quickly grabbed its open end, breaking her speed. Thus, she then went on to close it with a nearby chain before Jason broke through.

He kept on running. Running before she could've taken the padlock and press it shut. He got closer. Closer

Her thumbs on the cold, metal chain; He dived with tired feet.

The lock clicked shut, like the sound of a gun; the same way Nina's feelings were towards him. That one sound explained her condition that moment.

His head met the gates wires with an astounding a respectful clang and shake.

All he wanted to do was to plead guilty from his blunder.

She wanted to cry in shame of her trust.

In the moonlight, Jason was able to see another cut hole along wired fence. Just like the way a dog would crawl through any possible spaces, rubble through debris and search for his owner.

"Nina! Nina!" he barked heavily, while resuming running around and panting. "Nina!" he called again.

Of all faults he knew about people, he would've never guessed that he would be the victim of one of them. Perhaps the youngest.

He heard a crying whimper, the kind with a shrill and minute screech as if she was trying to scream out, but didn't want too at the same time.

There Nina was, sitting on top of a crane's jib, surrounded by rust, who could've felt her degrading pain. Jason slowly walked up to her seeing her hands concealing her face.

"I know what you saw-" his neck slightly vertical, looking up.

"Go away, Jason..." she sniffed.

"-But I can fix this all if you-"

"I said go away Jason!" Nina revealed her tears, streaming. Streaming. Streaming. Endlessly. "You think you can fix what exactly? And how!"

Jason dropped on his knees, heart aching from Nina's tongue where all her words stabbed him like a knife of cacophony.

Nina bursted into wailing like her mind couldn't stop stressing over the image she's seen. "That's not my mom anymore! That will never be the person I will have a closer relationship with in my entire life. It's like my family's gone."