Chapter 6: The Interlude

The only thing that was of most affection were their heartbeats. Attuned to each bump and thump that pulsed in their body, so was their breathing, as they were asleep, drowning in their own love, sharing the same dream. Jason woke up, unclothed, except for his boxers. He looked around the dim, blue, moonlit room. The naked windows invading the ocean blue moonlight, showing the tiny scattered materials on the floor, a book of Shakpshere's Romeo & Juliet and Nina, who was still deep in slumber. It wasn't just the way her undergarments suited her in cordial and thrilling affection, but the way her lips and cheeks were in perfect structure, the natural smell of her flower skin and the touch of her skin, so lustful, as he wrapped one arm around her waist, with the other hand stroking her cheek. He admired that ethereal sound of her breathing. He stares:

JASON: My heart raises from it's place,

Pumping blood faster, at an unusual pace

As everything about you is my drug of ecstasy

Making my lungs respire anaerobically

How do you do it?

How do you make your voice the throne of my ears?

How do you make your eyes the master of my vision?

How do you make your smile the only solution to make me happy?

*goes closer to her ears* How do you make your presence the only thing that keeps me breathing

For others, it's odd!

And please tell me, *gives a soft laugh* that God is near

Because baby, these days, that drive away

Are like a highway

Where nobody wants to see window to window....

*He lies down on her arm* good thing we're in the same car *laughs*

That same car, where we drive distances far,

To tell each other about the depression that we've cured

Nina, I couldn't think of any other way more

To show it's you I adore

Because when I'm not listening to my heart

I'm listening to yours

Life would be imagine without you

I'm living my dream, and my dream is about you

Our love is true

And I don't know what I'd do without you

Losing you is what I call fear

And being there for you is what I call care

Let's enjoy this world, this world that's very severe

Stay here

With me, my dear,

As you are *whispers to her ear* my atmosphere *kisses her forehead*

NINA: *Opens her eyes* I knew I wasn't dreaming.

(They smiled and laced around each other as Nina put her back against Jason's chest.)

NINA: How long has it been?

JASON: *looks at clock on the nightstand* It's 2 o' clock.

NINA: Should we head back now? *looking at Jason*

They were now downstairs in the living room of the house. Nina clung her arm onto Jason, laying on his shouder, while he kept flickering channels from the remote hunting for a good show on the late night channels. During his rummage, Nina contemplated. After a brief and idyllic silence, she spoke:

NINA: Hey *she turned his head towards her, staring at his drowsy eyelids*

JASON: What's on your mind?

NINA: *pauses* Do you think that... if there were the possibility that I was with someone else, would I feel the same way as I do with you?

JASON: I don't think nobody else would care about you the way I do. They would've just somehow abused your beauty.

NINA: Exactly! Jason you already know about this world and the way people are... especially with women. *she shrugs him tight* I hate bringing up the past but, this is something that has me by the strands everyday.

JASON: Hey *kisses her head* Tell me all that's in your head, whenever you want.

NINA: Really?

JASON: *smiles* even if it's the most random, most tragic, most stupidest thing that pops into that pretty head of yours.

(They both laugh)

JASON: I'm here to guide you... for always. Anything of your concern

NINA: Really?

JASON: *shakes his head in encouragement*

NINA: Okay, here I go.

(She gathers her courage while Jason continues rummaging through the channels while caressing Nina's shoulder)

NINA: From what I've know just by observing my surroundings, and what happens in it, I've seen men on the streets judging a girl's life by looking back at her. I know the moment they enter that girl's life they just...leave! So soon and after a while she still doesn't do anything about it because she either likes it that way or because she's traumatized. For mom, I don't even know what it is... But I know that whenever a gentleman gets too comfortable, he'll often make everything his cruel, cold, and hissful advantage... That was your Dad with your Mom, wasn't it?

JASON: *pauses... then looks away* Yes.

NINA: I think it's tradition. Everybody just blends in somehow. I just don't want it to be us. *she takes his arm and puts it on her thigh* Jason please. All my life, all my dragging life, All I ever wished for was a miracle to happen. Something I can feel at ease with for the rest of my life. God gave me someone and I'm drifting my prayers in my head right now to reassure myself that you are the my only source of happiness. *stares into his eyes* Don't bruise this skin. Don't make these tears cry. Don't break this heart... I'm not the kind of girl goes out everyday and wants attention, who spreads rumors and has some other boy or friend breaking me out of my shell. There's only you. And you are all I need.

JASON: [He seals his lips, while dropping the remote on a small table in front of them. After, he takes her by her shoulder and kisses her on her forehead and the top of her head.] There's no such thing as tragedy, especially when it comes to you. Among every star in the sky, I need you here regardless, you were the one I wished for and I made it a promise.

NINA: [holds the back of his head] What if love betrays us?

JASON: Then my life would be no more.

The sky gradually began losing it's darkness, After leaving the house and walking back to their journey to home, it was until they were a street length far away where they saw the living room lights on. Their hearts had anchored as if their smiles had just swung off their hearts and despair had imperialized them. They thought that Andrew and Danielle found out they were gone. But their thoughts had deceived them when they climbed the nearby tree to enter Jason's room through the window. The lights were off in his room and the door was still locked. Mired of no purpose of what Andrew and Danielle had been doing, they suddenly heard the shrill scream of peril, bleeding the eardrums of the lovers.

"Now I know why she fucking died, you lumpy cunt!" they heard Danielle speak. "Probably still shrieking in her own grave knowing you broke your promise towards someone else!"

A whipping thud followed the ruthlessness downstairs. Jason and Nina looked at each other to verify their sequential and equal thinking. They skyrocketed downstairs. They had nothing else but nostalgic tragedy in their hands, trying not to consult to themselves that it was coming back to them. But it was slowly crawling back onto them. Their past was now remaking itself. The blood in Jason's body lighted a brighter red from his fear.

Laura and Augustine looked up in sympathy.