Dead and Gone

(Joy before Gilead)

(Joy before Gilead)

Joy was trying to open her eyes. Her whole body was feeling numb. Where was she? Images were still not very clear. She could hear voices around, footsteps. What was going on?

Fred had completely lost it. Joy's phone was off, he couldn't contact her. The news had broken loose. All hell had broken loose. All citizens had now been informed of the new era, action had been taken overnight. Of course, planning everything had been going on long enough. No one was prepared to this.

The totalitarian, theonomic government now establishes rule in the former United States. Society is organized by power-hungry leaders along with a new, militarized, hierarchical regime of fanaticism and newly created social classes, in which women are brutally subjugated, and by law are not allowed to work, own property, handle money, or read.
Worldwide infertility has resulted in the conscription of the few remaining fertile women in Gilead, being called "Handmaids". They are assigned to the homes of the ruling elite, where they must submit to ritualized rape by their male masters in order to become pregnant and bear children for those men and their wives.
Alongside the Handmaids, much of society is now grouped into classes that dictate their freedoms and duties. Women are divided into a small range of social categories, each one signified by a plain dress in a specific color: Handmaids wear red, Marthas (who are housekeepers and cooks) wear green, and Wives (who are expected to run their households) wear blue and turquoise.
Econowives, the lower-class women who still have minimal agency, are a sort of mixture of all these categories, and they wear gray. Women prisoners are called Unwomen and are worked to death clearing toxic waste in the Colonies.
Another class of women, Aunts (who train and oversee the Handmaids), wear brown. Additionally, the Eyes are a secret police watching over the general populace for signs of rebellion.
(This part was taken from Wikipedia to better explain the situation in the new Gilead)

Joy finally opened her eyes. She could see two women wearing brown.

- Oh, there. She finally opened her eyes. How do you feel, dear?
- Where.. where am I?
- You're at the hospital.
- What?..

The realization of what had happened almost left her breathless. She was feeling.. empty.

- What have you done to me?! NO! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME?!!! NOOOO!!!! NOOO!!!

The Aunts were trying to keep her down. Doctors rushed in and injected her a sedative. She was screaming and crying so loud, only the sedative could make her stop.

Fred was waiting nervously in his office. Where was Joy? He needed to talk to her as soon as possible.

*knock,knock

- Hello, Fred. May I come in?

It was Serena McCay, the ex vice president's daughter. She and Fred had been working together for almost a year. Her attraction towards him had always been obvious.