The Master

Five months had gone by so fast, but to Joy it looked like an eternity. Joy didn't exist anymore. She was Offred now. The Aunts had made sure to make the Handmaids life a living hell, like it already wasn't that. The punishments they would give were so harsh. They were taught how they were going to have sex with their masters almost every week, in the presence of their wives. It was basically raping. The idea that her master was Fred made her feel somehow calmer, but all the other prohibitions and things she had to endure scared her so much. Today was the day she was going at her family's house.

Serena and Fred were both waiting in their living room.

- Offred must be here any minute. The ceremony will be tomorrow. I'm guessing you don't need any further explanation about it, do you Fred?

He looked at her with so much hate and anger.

- She better get pregnant soon, though. If she won't get pregnant in three months we are gonna have to change her.

Fred pushed her against the wall with anger grabbing her by her coat.

- Joy is not going anywhere. Do you hear me?! SHE'S NOT GOING ANYWHERE!
- Let go of me!

In that moment they heard a car parking in front of their door. Fred's heart started beating so fast. They were all waiting for her there. And there she was. Fred's eyes filled with tears. He wanted to go and hug her tight, kiss her. But he knew he couldn't do it. She was keeping her head down, avoiding to look at any of them.
After finishing the rituals, Offred was left alone with her masters. She had kneeled in front of them. Fred tried to go and get her up but Serena stopped him.

- Offred, I think you now know everything you can and cannot do. Let's talk about the most important matter, your relationship with your master.

A tear fell down her face, but they couldn't see.

- You know you are not allowed to look at him, touch him, talk to him when I'm not there. Tomorrow we'll be having the ceremony. Be prepared. And may God bless me and Fred with a child.

Fred closed his eyes in pain. They had killed their baby just because Fred wasn't a man of the ruling elite before marrying Serena. Joy was supposed to be "clean and ready" for her future master.

- Did you understand what I just told you, Offred?
- Y..yes, Ma'am.
- Don't call me Ma'am. I'm Mrs. Waterford to you. Is that clear?
- Yes... Mrs. Waterford.

They could tell she was crying. Her voice was trembling. Fred was almost crying too.

- Now go to your room.

Offred stood up. She finally made eye contact with Fred. He looked broken. Tears were still streaming down her face. Without saying a word, she left. Fred hit the wall so hard he hurt his hand. He was laying his head against it. This was too much. Serena went near him, caressing his shoulders.

- My father was waiting for you, we should go and meet him.

He couldn't think of anything else. He had to talk with her.

- Go wait for me in the car. I'll be there in a minute.

Serena looked at him with doubt. She then left and got in the car that was waiting for them outside. As soon as Fred saw she got in, he ran to Offred's room.
There she was, sitting on her bed crying. She shocked when she saw him.

- Fred! What are you doing here?!

He ran and hugged her, kissing her. He couldn't get enough of her.

- Oh, my love. I missed you so much!
- Fred, please! You shouldn't be here! She will punish me! Please!
- I.. I will find a way for us to meet without her knowing. I have to go now. I won't let her hurt you. I love you so much.

He kissed her one last time and then left. Offred sat on her bed covering her face with her hands. How had her life turned like that? Where did all their dreams go? There she was, empty and enslaved.