Fugitive

Fred had it all planned. He was going to take Offred in a secret place tonight. He had heard of it from one of the commanders. It was a place of entertainment, where they would go and break all their rules with prostitutes. It was like a big hotel casino. They both needed some time to be alone with each other.. just like the old times. She still didn't know anything about it, but he was about to tell her.
As she got out of the bathroom, his unexpected presence in her room scared her.

- My God! Fred..
- Are you up for some fun, my love?
- What?
- We're going to escape for the night.

She wasn't speaking. Fred was holding a bag in his hand. He gave it to her.

- What is this?
- You need to wear these for where we're headed.

She opened it. Inside was a party dress, a mascara and a lipstick.

- You know I'm not allowed..
- My love, tonight we're breaking the rules. It's gonna be just you and me.

He put his hands around her waist and kissed her.

- I need it. I need to be alone with you. My soul and my body needs it.

She needed it too.

- Give me ten minutes.

Smiling she was about to go to the bathroom but he stopped her.

- Since when you're shy of me.

He sat on the bed in front of her. Still smiling, Offred started undressing. She let her hair down, unzipped her red dress and let it fall to the ground. Then, she took off her white top and pants. Her body looked like a sculpture. Fred got up and went near her. He was smelling her hair, her neck, slowly caressing her breasts.

- Oh, I can't wait to get there. Quick, wear your dress.

He handed her the dress and she wore it on her bare body. While Fred was keeping a small round mirror in front of her, she put on her mascara and lipstick. She looked divine. Fred then gave her one of Serena's coats.

- What is that for?
- This is for when we'll pass through the check points. You'll have to wear the hood so they think you're.. the wife.
- And who's taking us there?
- The driver.
- What?! Fred, he will tell her.
- He won't. I made sure of that.
- How can you trust him?
- He knows dying for Serena is not worth it.

After a brief moment of hesitation, Offred wore the coat. Serena wasn't home. She had gone to meet her parents. Nick was waiting for them outside. Fred helped Offred get inside the car then he got in after her. Nick started the car without saying anything. He would look at them from time to time from the mirror. Offred made eye contact with him a couple of times. She was feeling nervous. They passed the check points successfully. There they were now, outside the hotel. A big noise and music was coming from inside.

- Nick, get yourself comfortable. I'll call you when we'll be ready to go.
- Yes, Mr. Waterford.

Nick knew all this was illegal. If someone would find out, both Waterford and the Handmaid would get punished, or maybe killed. But that was none of his business.
Fred and Offred got in. She had left Serena's coat inside the car. Everyone was looking at her. Fred put his arm around her shoulders and they went to the elevator. Soon they arrived in their room. Offred was looking around the luxurious room. Fred grabbed her and kissed her.

- Oh how I wish we could be like this forever..
- We can escape now, Fred. We don't have to get back to that house.
- I'd never put your life in danger, my love. I'm thinking of something. I'll get us out of here as soon as possible.
- There is no danger, Fred. Please..
- Shh.. let's enjoy our moment here.

He slowly let her dress fall off her body. She unzipped his pants as they were carelessly walking to the bed. They could finally be free.

It was 4am in the morning. Fred was kissing her neck, trying to wake her up.

- We have to go now, my love.

She slowly opened her eyes and smiled at him. He kissed her and then they both got up and got dressed. Fred put his coat around her shoulders. They felt like fugitives. In fact, that's what they were that night.
Nick was waiting for them in the car. Offred let go of Fred's hand and stopped walking. He turned around a little worried.

- What's wrong, my love?
- Let's run away, Fred.
- Joy.. please..
- No, I mean it.

Her eyes had filled with tears.

- I can't take this anymore, Fred. If you don't wanna come with me I'm doing this alone.
- Joy, please. I just need you to get in that car, so we can go home.
- No.

Fred got closer to her and hugged her

- My love, please. It's too dangerous. We have to plan it. I'll make sure to get us both away from here very soon. I promise you.

She tried to keep her tears back and nodded. Fred kissed her then helped her get in the car. After they both were in, Nick started the car and they left.