Genesis

Offred. That was her name now. Suitable. She had always been Fred's indeed. But things were so different now. The world didn't function normally anymore. Not that before things could be defined as normal, but at least they felt like it. This now felt like hell, especially to her. Fred was suffering it, too. They had already lost too much. Thank God he was a man of the high society. That's what saved her.

Year 2024. Who would have thought the world would have come to this? Maybe some people had, but it had always remained inside the frame of fantasy. One year and a half ago a terrible virus hit humans all around the world, causing infertility among them. The birth rates were declining at such a level, that it caused chaos. From that chaos Gilead was born. Once the United States of America, today Gilead. All rules changed by night. The way how the world functioned.. it was all gone.

It was a normal work day for Joy and her friend Janine. They worked together in a company in Boston.
Joy was engaged to Fred Waterford, a very successful lawyer. His role in the government was very important. Everyone respected him. He was madly in love with his Joy. They had been together for over three years now and Joy was five months pregnant with their child. She could feel the baby move from time to time. Nothing would make them happier than the moments when they would both lay in their bed before sleeping and Fred would caress her belly. They were living a fairy tale. So bad it was all going to turn into a horror movie.

Janine was touching Joy's belly trying to feel the baby move.

- Oh my goodness, Joy! I can feel her!!
- Yeah, she's been moving so much today it's like she already wants to get out of there!

They were both taking a good laugh.

- Oh, Joy, I'm so happy for you and Fred. I really can't wait to see you holding your little girl. And with everything that's been going on lately.. you know, the virus. This baby is a miracle baby.
- I know, I'm still feeling nervous. Fred has been feeling very anxious, I can tell even though he tries to hide it from me.

*Boom

Their manager slammed the door of his office and came there heavy breathing. Everyone was looking at him with an expression of shock in their faces.

- I.. I need all the women in here to pack their stu.. to pack their things and please leave.

Joy, Janine and some others stood up from their desk looking confused.

- You're firing us, Paul?
- No.. Janine, please. I'm sorry I can't do anything else.. Please pack your things and go.

He re-entered in his office ignoring all the raising voices coming from the angry women employees.

- What the hell was this? Where did this come from? I'm calling Fred. This is not normal.

20 armed men dressed in black and wearing a black mask that would only show their eyes entered the room. Many of the women stopped their protest and started packing, looking at the men with fear. Joy was going to call Fred when she was out of that building. Those men were making her feel uncomfortable.
As they were going out, they saw that hundreds of armed men wearing the same were all around. Joy stopped by the entrance door to ask one of them.

- Are you from the army? What's going on?
- In his Eyes.
- Excuse me?!

That answer got Joy so confused. What did he mean? What happened next didn't leave her much time to think about it or anything else anymore. Joy, Janine and every single women around were being put into some black vans with force. The things they were holding in their hands fell to the ground. They were trying to resist but it was useless.

- Don't touch her! She's pregnant! Don't touch her you bastards!!

Janine's words got lost in the air. Joy was trying to escape the man that was trying to make her get into the van, so he hit her hard behind her head. Everything turned black. Just like her whole life would've.