15.

I was with Hannah at Monet's just like I promised. I was telling her everything. Well everything except his home life because that's not my story to tell. 

"So he out right just told you that Jess is a shitty girlfriend?!" Hannah exclaims.

"Hannah be quiet, I'd rather the whole cafe not know that we're talking about this," I hushed. She gave me an apologetic look and I continue. "He didn't say that she's a "shitty" girlfriend. Just that she never lets him speak and it's one sided."

"So he basically said that she's a shitty girlfriend then?" she asked.

I roll my eyes. "Yeah, yeah... but anyway, he said he doesn't wanna break up with her," I said.

"ARE YOU SERIOUS?! WHAT'S WRONG WITH HIM?!?!" Hannah was really mad now. 

She got up and she started pacing around our table. I looked at her slightly amused. I know this wasn't the right time to laugh but the way Hannah was pacing with her hand on her head was hilarious. Hannah glared at me and I immediately stopped. 

"Did he at least say why he won't break up with her?" she asked. 

"Kinda. I don't know her. He just said they've been through too much for him to just let go," I said.

Hannah sighs. "They've been together for a while. And she's his first proper girlfriend. He's probably scared of being lonely honestly. But he has you!" 

"Hannah, I don't wanna just be a rebound. After hanging out with him, I realise how much I really do like him. He's really sweet and nice. There's more to him than meets the eye, and I like that about him, I really do. And I don't want him to break up with Jess and be sad and use me as a rebound and then break it off with me," I replied. 

Hannah just nods and sips on her hot chocolate. We stayed silent for a while. Neither of us saying anything. Just sipping on our hot drinks. In the middle of summer. 

I couldn't stop thinking about Justin. I just hope he's okay at home, and that he's safe. 

JUSTIN'S P.O.V. 

I got home from school and Cassie's words still in my head. 

You deserve someone who's going to be there for you through the ups and downs and someone who will love and support you always.

I knew that she was right. But was I really that unhappy with Jess? I never really thought about it. Sure, she never listened but she was still there. Her company always made me feel better. But so did Cassie's. Especially today. We connected. Really connected.

I made my way to my bedroom. I put my bag on the floor and sat on my bed with my head in my hands. I don't know what to do. I keep pondering on what I should do when I hear the front door slam and I hear footsteps. 

Great. He must be home. And he'll definitely be drunk. 

I quietly get into bed, not wanting him to know that I was home. He had always tried to kick me out but mom never let him. And he hated me. But my mom would never leave him. Just like me not being able to leave Jess. Maybe it runs in the family. 

I quickly drift off to sleep but wake up an hour later to crying. It was mom. This was the second time this week. And I couldn't bare to see her in so much pain. No matter how much she tried to warn me not to get involved. I had to. I couldn't just stand there and watch him beat my mother. 

I get out of bed and walk into the kitchen to see him about to slap my mom. 

"GET AWAY FROM HER!" I yell and angrily run over and shove him.