25. mourn

gus hadn't moved any of grace's belongings, he had returned home from the hospital and laid and cried on their bed. he refused to believe she was gone, if he wouldn't have texted her maybe she wouldn't have crashed. the blankets smelled like her, gus inhaled her scent. it was the closest he could get to having her there with him. her clothes still scattered across the floor, her bathroom counter was still a mess with hair and makeup products all over it. her empty starbucks cups were strayed across the dresser and in the garbage. gus felt like his heart had been ripped out of him, he couldn't feel, think or breathe. his girl was gone, taken from him, taken from the world. he would never see her smile again, or the way her eyes lit up when she saw him. they had real love, he'd never hear her voice again, or hear her laugh every time he did something dumb to get her attention. gus would never be the same, his life was over as far as he was concerned. he'd never stop loving her.

when shiloh got the news, she was saddened. although grace was her friend, they were rocky and inconsistent. it hurt and was hard to take for her, she blamed gus. the text, the drugs, the lifestyle. it was his fault as far as she was concerned. she shed her tears, and relived the memories they had made together.

a few months had passed, gus' addiction was spiralling out of control. he didn't leave the apartment much, he hadn't spoken to anyone since grace's death. he was empty, the only thing he felt was the effects of the drugs. he left all of her things exactly where he found them, unable to try and move on. he couldn't move anything without feeling like he was erasing the memory of her. she would never be dead to him, they would never die. it would always be grace and gus.