Chapter 12 - Magazine

"Yes, baby?... Hmmm... Why not?... Where are you going?... For how long?... Did you talk to your Mom about it?... Can I get back at you, baby?... Yes... I'm in a meeting now..."

He was standing near the floor-to-ceiling glass window on the side of the conference room. The meeting was temporarily suspended as we wait for the company president and CEO to finish his conversation with, obviously, the heiress. Then he turned and looked at me.

          "Hmmm... What about it?... He's with me now. Do you wanna talk to him?... Okay, okay, calm down... I'll call you back..." He snorted and  ended the call.

          "Beatrice is not coming here for the summer." He looked at me as he went back to his seat at the head of the table.  I just nodded. I don't know what to feel and how to react. She did not say anything to me about not coming here. How could she when she had not been taking my calls. I kept on flipping my pen with my fingers. Then Tito Bob addressed the board, "Shall we resume?"

          Recently, I was made as Chief Liaison Officer as part of my apprenticeship. Tito Bob and dad has clinched a deal on the imminent merger between our two companies; hence, the rigid training on my part and Bea's exposure to the operations of the hotels. As far as Kyle is concerned, he had just graduated from his two-year culinary course, and he is in-charge of overseeing the restaurant operations of the hotels and resorts.

The meeting ended an hour later. I still have another hour to prepare for school. I am now on my last trimester on my third year in engineering. Apart from this, I've started taking up necessary course units in business management.

I was idly picking up the documents on the table when Tito Bob turned from the door. "Enzo, do you have a minute to spare?"

"Yes, Tito."

"Follow me to my office." I nodded as I closed my laptop.

          "Is there something going on between Beatrice and that Castro boy? Who is he again?" Tito Bob was leaning on his swivel chair when I came in. I sat on one of the chairs in front of him.

          "Jason..." I swear I'm gonna strangle that boy. I've already warned him last time during my birthday.  "None that I know of, Tito. Why did you ask?"

          "Like I've said, Beatrice is not coming over for the summer. Instead, she said she's going to Hongkong for a month with her friends."

          "Is Jason coming with them?" I hope he does not. I made a fist with my hand in annoyance. I would give everything to have Bea stay beside me. If only I could simply ask that she finish her high school here in Manila, I would.

         "I'm not sure, but according to her detail, this Jason has been hovering our Bea this schoolyear. By any chance, did she mention anything to you about him?" Tito Bob clasped his fingers together and as he placed his hand on the table.

          "Bea hasn't mentioned anything, Tito Bob. I'll see what I can do about this." I straightened my back though I'm not as confident as getting anything from Bee. Clearly she had been avoiding me since my birthday party last month.

          "Yes, please, Enzo." He leaned back again.  "Well... that would be all for today. I'll see you again tomorrow. You have class, right?"

          "Yes, Tito.  See you then." I stood up and began to head towards the door. 

          "Ahm... Enzo..." I turned around. I have just grabbed my backpack from his office couch. "Would it be okay with you if I ask you to accompany Beatrice in Hongkong? Anyway, we have a branch there..."