Chapter 16: Not as It Seems

"You know what I'd do if I had the future that you did kid?" Razor says, taking a sip of the gin as he sits on the hood of a busted-up Toyota.

Henry leans against the bumper of a dented car, still gazing at Violet, the pain of her lack of memory of their relationship still throbbing in his body. He turns with his red cup, he's only taken a few sips, the bitterness of the liquid stings his mouth and burns his throat and nose. He hates it, not understanding why adults drink this disgusting concoction anyways. He looks to the speaking gang member.

"No, what?"

"I'd take that money and go wherever the hell I wanted. Maybe someplace like Italy or even Russia... see the world, experience life on the edge. I'd climb Mount Everest if I could."

"Why don't you guys take your motorcycles and go on the road?" the young author asks.

A few other members look at Henry, staring at what seems like daggers at him, but the alcohol had likely softened their defences that if the visitor said something offensive, they wouldn't snap at him. Razor's face goes red for a moment, some of the veins on his thick neck pop out briefly as he tenses, but then takes another sip.

"We got families kid, friends and families," Razor explains. "Popeye over here has two little girls to care for and I've got a sweetheart and also an ageing mother and father to worry about."

This gang has surprise Henry immensely. He expected the typical motorbike gang, clad in leather, chains, brass knuckles, many tattoos, heavy drinking, and smoking, riding to wherever they wanted on their bikes. Maybe he'd watched too many episodes of Sons of Anarchy to really assume that this gang was like any other. These guys are just people who have lost their way like their name suggests... broken and fighting to make a living for themselves. They are almost perfect examples of how his mom and dad were like for the longest time, just trying to survive, protect themselves and those they love. They had feelings and emotions, they were truly human.

"The only one who could really go would be Vee," Junkyard says. "The only thing holding her back is the state and custody crap."

"We're all stuck here buddy," Graves answers, lighting up another cigarette and sharing the lit match with Violet as she starts smoking again. "If we try to leave, something always keeps us here... one way or another."

Like the first curse! Henry thinks to himself, his eyes going wide. Any time anyone in Storybrooke tried to leave, something bad would happen to their car or something. He has no doubt in his mind that his great-grandmother's curse does the same thing. The only people who can leave are the outsiders, those born outside of this cursed town.

"I get it," he nods. "It just seems like nothing is good or right anymore."

"Exactly!" Popeye nods, pointing his cup at the boy. "The world is as twisted as it gets and we're the by-product of this crappy world. If it were up to me, none of this would exist. Hell, bring back the tiny town that used to be here... whatever its name was... Stoneybrooke..."

"Storybrooke," Henry says.

"See, even you get it, kid, I want the quiet life, one of peace and simplicity for my girls to grow up in," Popeye raises his cup up. "Here's to the past and what should've happened."

Everyone in the gang raises their glasses and mutters in response.

Just then, the phone in Henry's pocket buzzes. He whips it out only for his heart to sink. The text is saved under "Mom," but not the one he wanted. He's already had multiple texts from her, but he's ignored them. The Black Fairy wouldn't care if he got hit by a bus or jumped off a clip. He knew this concerned act is just a façade to be part of the curse. He glares