Chapter 38 - Out of Time

Zuko carried Aang back through the house, towards the front door. The airbender had always been light, but now he was almost skin and bones, light as a feather. Zuko was worried. Who knew how long Aang had been trapped in the mind-cell? Would they even be able to wake him up?

            He didn’t--

            His train of thought was interrupted by a shout, and Zuko turned his head to see a tall man with elegant snow white hair and soft features standing on a bridge. It was Corr. Suddenly Zuko felt a wrenching sensation, and he pitched forward, barely managing to keep his grasp on the Avatar.

            Beside him, Katara cried out, and unholy fury filled Zuko. He’d made a promise, that no one would ever hurt her.

            Holding Aang closer, he stood, the force of his anger keeping Corr’s strange power at bay. “Go on! I will hold him off!”

            “But Twila--”

            “GO!” Twila cut off Katara’s argument, and a blue glow began to surround her. They needed to leave, now. Zuko grabbed Katara’s hand and ran.

            “We have to get to the tunnels!” Katara broke free of Zuko’s hold and ran ahead. “The entrance is on the other side of the city! We’ll never make it!”

            She glanced back at him, her blue eyes determined. “So we’ll make our own entrance.”

            “How?”

            “I don’t know yet!” She ran towards the cliffs, and Zuko could only follow. Suddenly a gut wrenching scream echoed from behind them, and Zuko winced. Twila. Katara looked over her shoulder, her eyes haunted, but Zuko shook his head. They couldn’t go back.

            They ran across a bridge--and a moment later, the bridge bucked underneath them, sending them sprawling. Corr was on their trail.

            Aang went flying, and Katara leapt into the air on a stream of water to catch him. Her motion gave Zuko an idea, but already Corr was closing in--they didn’t have time! He stood up, stumbling as he struggled against the force that pulled at his clothes and tried to trip him up.

            “Kara! Remember when we accidentally got married?!” He knew it was a painful memory, but he didn’t have TIME to explain--

            She looked at him, her blue eyes going wide. Then she grinned, a flash of mirth that sent Zuko’s heart into overdrive. If they hadn’t been in a life or death situation, he would’ve kissed her.

            As it was, he didn’t have time. He ran towards her just as she grabbed Aang with a rope of water, using the substance to freeze the young Avatar to her own back. Then she wrapped her arms around Zuko, freezing herself to him. The ice against his clothes and skin was beyond cold, but the feel of her against him was warm and familiar, and he was used to the cold.

            With a deep breath, he sent fire shooting from his palms, sending the trio rocketing into the air and towards the sea of ice, floating high above them.

______

Sorry guys, I know it's short, but it's late and I'm exhausted. I actually had some free time to read today, yaay! I feel like I haven't read anything in ages. But I felt bad for reading when I should have been writing, so here you go! My block still isn't completely gone, but I'm getting a little more motivated toward this story again. Probably because I'm thinking maybe three or four more chappies and it's done... 

Anywho, *yawns* I should have a couple free hours tomorrow, I'll see if I can get some more written. Five comments! I love you all. :)  Nighty night.