Interrogation

It took a lot of effort and reasoning to actually convince the Hunters to help drag the body back to camp. Most girls were being frustratingly annoying and refused to go anywhere near the man.

Their ringleader; Phoebe. "There is no way in Hades I'm going anywhere near that pig!"

"Oh, for the love of Olympus, will you put your man hatred away for ten minutes and just heal the poor man! Phoebe, your the best healer in the Hunt and Percy has just been through Tartarus. He saved all our lives, it's the least you can do to repay the debt."

"Just in case you've forgotten, Thalia, this is a girls-only, man-hating Hunt! No boys allowed!" The other girls had gathered around them, applauding, cheering and voicing their own opinions.

"I can't believe you, any of you!" With Thalia's final soft comment of devastation, she stormed off to the small tent that housed the body of her half-dead cousin. Phoebe looked around at the other hunters with a victorious grin. I crossed my arms and cleared my throat, gaining the attention of the small audience.

"Well? What are you all standing around here for? Off to bed!" They scurried off, none wanting to be the victim of my ire. Only when they were all gone, did I allow myself a satisfied smirk, turning, I made my way to the poorly built tent on the outskirts of the camp.

Pulling back the canvas flaps, I caught a rare glimpse of the real broken girl that hid behind the mask of Thalia Grace. The soft golden light of the meagre lamp illuminated Thalia's sitting form and the limp body in the shallow cot.

Thalia made no acknowledgement of me, she just sat there, staring motionlessly and defeated at the body. Perseus had not woken or moved since we dragged him from the forest floor. Mrs O'Leary had soon disappeared in to the dark night, knowing all too well that her job was probably done.

"Thalia." I spoke softly, trying not to startle the girl but my efforts were in vain. She quickly lifted her hands to her faces and brutally brushed the obvious tears from her eyes.

"Is there something you need, Lady Artemis?" Her voice wobbled and broke, and so I walked forth and placed a comforting hand upon her shoulder.

"It is late, you must rest." She shook her head in defiance.

"No, no, I can't. I can't leave him. What if he wakes up, alone, or... or he gets worse..." Her voice died softly as more tears filled her tired eyes. I crouched down and gently turned Thalia to face me. "He is a strong hero, he will be well. I will watch over him." Thalia stole another quick glance at the lifeless figure. "Go to your bed and let Hypnos and Morpheus carry you to a good place. Thalia, go."

She looked back at me, I could already see Hypnos in her eyes, slowly guiding her to the dreamland. "You... you promise-"

"I promise, now go." This time Thalia did not look back.

I waited until the sound of her heavy feet had ceased to exist before I took the seat and faced the body. "You can open your eyes now."

At first there wasn't any movement but slowly the corners of his mouth twitched painfully upward into broken half-smile. His eyes remained closed.

"Thank you."

"I'm not doing it for you, I'm doing it for Thalia. She's gone through enough today and we're moving camp tomorrow, so she needs to rest and-"

"I didn't mean that, Lady Artemis," his eyes slowly slid open, just a bit. "I want to thank you for saving me. You are the first person in four years who has shown me any mercy. For that, I am in your debt."

"Let me tell you something, Perseus, we are not going to spend the rest of your mortal life saving each other. I did what I did because I hate being indebted to anyone, especially a man. Now, you and I know that after this, we will part ways with all dues paid." Perseus' face remained unmoving throughout my little... rant.