chapter three .

It was only the second day, and yet to Yoongi, it seemed as though school had been going on for weeks now. Then again this was normal. Days hardly ever passed by quickly for him. All the more so since Namjoon hadn't been around for him to talk to. Of course, Jimin talked to him, and it goes without saying that this did anything but help Yoongi, whose chest felt tight every time that boy smiled at him.

Yoongi had wanted to visit Namjoon today. Although once classes were all over for the day, he remembered that he was scheduled to work. Wonderful.

He stepped outside and paused by the entrance gate to check his phone--not that he expected his friend to have texted him in the past six hours, but he figured he would at least let Namjoon know what he was doing. Because he knew Namjoon cared.

Yoongi: hey. just to remind u i'm not heartless, i was gonna stop by to say hi, but i have to work

Joonie: i literally just woke up from a two hour nap lol i had a nice dream

Joonie: and it's alright, yoongs, when do u work till

Yoongi: 9:30

Joonie: thats not too late. we'll talk when u get home then. sound good?

Yoongi: sure

Namjoon always responded straightaway. A little thing that meant a lot to him.

Yoongi sighed as he slipped his phone into his back pocket, running a lazy hand through his hair and breathing in the crisp air. March 4th, it was, only sixteen days until spring and only five days until his birthday. And though he cared little for the occasion, his parents and Namjoon did love to make a big deal out of it. Just last year, his mom and dad took him out to a nice restaurant, and his good friend bought for him an expensive coat he had secretly been wanting. Well, it wasn't really a secret. Namjoon had seen how the coat had caught Yoongi's eye one time as they had passed it by being displayed in a store window. And Namjoon's skill and charisma at his part-time job earned him a pretty penny, which he had no issue with spending on others. He loved his job at the mall, too, so that made it even more rewarding.

Now Yoongi, on the other hand, worked at an ice cream shop several miles from that mall. He wouldn't particularly have said he hated working there, but he didn't really like it either.

The shop, called Busan Parlor, was quite popular among kids and teenagers in the area, with its bright attractive colors, and the pop music that constantly played for the customers' enjoyment. Not to mention the ice cream there was pretty good too. Even Yoongi thought so, and he didn't eat sweet things often.

One short bus ride later and he was there, standing in front of the transparent, red framed door through which he could see one of his coworkers cleaning tables. Not many customers were here now. But that would change before long. This was a popular hangout spot after all.

Yoongi pushed open the door and walked inside.

"Min Yoongi!"

His coworker, a short blonde girl who had on a new shade of lipstick every time he saw her, lifted her head to greet Yoongi eagerly. She tucked a washcloth into her apron and skipped over to him, smiling and looking a bit too happy for Yoongi's comfort. He took a step away from her.

"Yoongi, did you hear that some boy applied for a job here??" The girl, whose name was Jaeun, stared at Yoongi with sparkling eyes. He squinted at her.

"I didn't hear anything about it."

"Yeah, apparently he was interviewed the other day, and he got the job," she told him. Her voice bubbled with excitement. "He's starting today."