chapter fourteen .

[a sneak peek into Jungkook's life as a secret admirer]

As cheesy as it sounded to him, it was love at first sight.

Roughly two years ago, crossing paths, meeting eyes, and being introduced by a mutual friend--the whole bit. And he was surprised, learning that this boy was Jimin's childhood friend, yet Jimin had never made mention of him in their conversations. Nonetheless that didn't really bother him. Jungkook was just happy to meet Taehyung.

He knew he was young. Jungkook was aware of that, and of how foolish and naive he could be at times, and he even figured that this little crush of his would fade into nothingness as time went on, and that he would move on to a new crush. But it didn't. He didn't. The two hardly talked, since Taehyung was practically glued to Jimin's side, but every now and then he and Jungkook would greet each other, conversations brief, yet so, so meaningful to the love-struck Jungkook.

He couldn't lie, though. It did sadden him. He was shy, quite the opposite of self-asserting, which was what he believed he needed to be in order to talk with Taehyung for longer than a two-minute period. At least he had hope. Even if it were the foolish hope of youth, he had it. That was the reason he didn't give up or avoid Taehyung, even when it seemed that their "relationship" wasn't progressing at all.

But something happened in Jungkook's favor one fine day.

It was the summer break of his junior year. Jungkook, not having much else to do with himself, spent most of his free time playing Overwatch, which had so quickly consumed the minds and souls of 90% of teenage and adult males worldwide. A lot of his classmates played. Unfortunately, however, a lot of them were jealous of Jungkook's sheer gaming skill and insisted it wasn't any fun playing with him. They were sore losers, basically, and honestly, it didn't matter to him who he played with, so typically Jungkook would just join random games online. It was more fun that way.

He didn't expect to stumble across Kim Taehyung during one of those games.

Now Jungkook was the type of gamer to get so concentrated and involved in what he was doing that he wouldn't really use his mic as most other players did, not even to communicate with teammates. Perhaps for that reason he was able to hear others' voices more clearly. And he heard Taehyung. Loud, deep-voiced, trash-talking Taehyung. It took him by surprise. In one game, Tae probably spoke to him more than all the times the two had talked before--although oddly enough this was a one-sided conversation. Jungkook listened as his crush called out to the player subrosa--that was Jungkook's gamer tag--over and over again, trying so desperately to get his attention. Tae, despite being a bit hot-headed, made numerous comments concerning Jungkook's skill, and for some reason, he really, really wanted to talk with him.

One thing led to another and Taehyung started a chat with him via the Xbox messaging feature. At this point, Jungkook's identity was still hidden. And though he didn't know why at the time, he wanted to keep things that way.

The first conversation was simple and Jungkook predicted what it would be about ahead of time.

guccigang: ok I need answers buddy who taught u how to play like that

guccigang: u secretly a professional who slipped into a game of mediocres??

guccigang: no one could touch u

He saw no reason not to respond.

subrosa: i'm flattered, but i'm no professional i swear

subrosa: tho it would be nice to get paid for this kind of thing

guccigang: dude u could do it for real

subrosa: stop it im gonna blush

guccigang: give me tips man