Chapter 6

"So why'd you come and see me today?" Patty asked from her chair. I didn't tell her much, only that I wanted more sessions, including the one I'm in now. She was shocked to say the least. I can't imagine how happy she was considering how much I had shown my distaste for them. But the case being opened changed everything.

"I need to remember, something." I said, but she only looked confused. She had her normally short dark hair in a short pony tail. She was gorgeous, clearly her new boyfriend thought so. I have been here only five minutes and she's gotten eight texts that have made her whole face turn red.

"You need to elaborate Drew. Why the sudden interest?" I had been expecting this question. She's a shrink, but it doesn't take a genius to know I don't like new things.

"The cops are re-opening my case." I said and her eyebrows shot up.

"Wow, that is not what I expected." She said taking a sip of her tea. That was another change she made.

"What did you expect?" I questioned.

"I thought you might have had a nightmare of some kind." She said and I just shrugged.

"I have them all the time, what significance would it make?" I asked. Her eyes widened and she rushed to get her notepad. I felt like I was an experiment, and she was the scientist on the verge of a break through. But isn't that what this is?

"Tell me exactly what happens?" She asked. I thought through it, I remember it clear as day, it's the same dream every night.

"What does it matter, I need to remember real information." I said and she just sighed.

"Sometimes the brain replaces traumatic memories with symbols. I think it's trying to tell you something. What happens?" She asks. I just sigh and close my eyes. The memory comes flying forward.

"Well, I'm in a bar having a drink when a man comes up to me. He looks just like how I imagine my father would have looked. Light skin, light brown hair, and blue eyes. We talk and I'm comfortable with him. Like he's been with us forever, but I'm meeting him for the first time. Then things shift, I'm don't feel safe anymore. His eyes grow dark and he reaches out to me, but I'm not there anymore. It feels like I'm a million miles away from him. He's calling out to me but I can't respond. I fall into the ground and see my mother, laying next to me." I hesitate, not wanting to continue.

"Go on Drew, it's just a nightmare." Patty says grabbing my hand. I take a deep breath and gather my courage.

"My mom is laying in a pool of her own blood. There is a wrecked car behind her, so I think it's the car crash. She keeps repeating the same sounds. 'Maahan cidda uu sheegayo inuu yahay' but none of it makes sense. She repeats it until a man is standing over her. It's my dad. My dad stabs her in the heart, her eyes roll to me, I watch her slowly slip away." I finish. I open my eyes and Patty is deep in thought. I gather my purse.

"Drew, where are you going?" She asks. I turn around and look at her. But I'm shocked when her notepad is completely bare. It was left abandoned on her seat after she took my hand, like she never intended to write anything at all.

"I've had enough, if you think that means something then tell me at our next session." I told her. She just got up and gave me a hug.

"I'm sorry Drew, I didn't realize it was that type of nightmare." She starts but I stop her.

"Tell me next time, my brain can't handle anything else." I said and walked out. I walked to the cafe. On my way in Sam tried to say hello, but I didn't dare breath a word. I was scared I'd start crying. I soundlessly worked my way through the day avoiding every conversation. That was until Detective Shaw had to walk in.

He silently sat down in a booth and waited for me to come over. But as I said earlier, I'm not in the mood to talk about the past.

"Sam can you get that table for me?" I asked. She looked a little shocked considering I had been avoiding her the whole day.

"Why wouldn't you want that table? I'd smash that if I could." She said smirking. I just shoved a notepad into her hands and motioned for her to go. I could see his disappointed gaze when he saw Sam coming and not me. Sucks for him, I'm not in the mood.

"He wants to talk to you." Sam said coming back over to me. She looked disappointed, most likely because he paid no attention to her. I just shrugged and walked into my aunts office.

"Can I take off early?" I asked. She just looked up from her paperwork and frowned. I could see her age showing in the creases around her eyes.

"Why? You have tables Drew." She said putting down her pen.

"I know, I just don't feel well, I had another appointment today." I said. At this point I had to pull the therapy card. I really did not want to talk about the case.

"Okay, I'll get Sam to cover you. You need to thank her later." She said and I nodded.

"I'll make sure to do that." I said walking out. I met Detective Shaw's eyes one more time before walking into the back room. I grabbed my purse and decided to go out the back entrance. I needed all the head start I could get.

I texted Tom telling him not to pick me up. He's working so he won't see it for another hour or so, which gives me even more time. But I don't doubt he'll be banging on my door later tonight asking if I'm okay.

Walking out I was surprised to see it was already dark. I guess in my trance I failed to notice how much time had passed. I checked my phone shocked to see it was only eight. Last time I was out this late by myself is when the incident happened.

As I was walking down the street I began to hear something behind me. But when I turned it was only a girl, a little older than me yelling at someone on the phone. I took a deep breath and carried on, after all lightning doesn't strike twice in the same place.

But I knew that this wasn't lightning the second I felt a hand grab my arm and pull me into an alley. Sure enough all I saw was the sign, Joe's Pizza Parlor. You've got to be kidding me.

Please vote if you enjoyed!