Chapter 9

I slowly open my eyes when I recognize the deep voice. I knew it as soon as I heard it, it was way too deep to be my attacker.

"What the hell are you doing?" Theo asked. The first thing I saw was the end of my bat in his hand. How in the world did he manage to catch it. I'm not the fastest person alive, but once upon a time I played softball. Then his eyes, the first emotion I've seen since our first day getting coffee, even if it was surprise at least I got something.

"I'm so sorry." I said quickly and he just nodded. He slowly let go of the bat, as if he thought I was going to swing again.

"What took you so long, and why are you batting at me." He said, not showing any emotion. Always so stoic, it's like he doesn't feel anything at all.

"Sorry, after tonight I guess I'm just a little on edge. Your knocking scared me." I said as I opened the door a little more. He got the gesture and made his way inside.

"Didn't you look through your peephole?" He asked, once again, nothing. I know Mae said he was in the army and worked through rape cases, but I wish he would smile. He'd look much more handsome. Wait, why am I thinking this.

"I know I should've but I guess I'm just flustered." I said shutting and locking the door. After checking the locks and throwing on the deadbolt did I finally turn to him.

"You have a very nice home." He said, and you guessed it, he sounded more bored than a kid in math class.

"Doesn't seem like it." I said a little annoyed. He then glanced at my laptop.

"Apparently you don't like it either. Home shopping?" He asked, an amused expression. Shit, I must've left it on.

"No it's called rent, I had a roommate but she moved out." I said, my thoughts turning sad with thoughts of Ryland. We had been in contact with each other, but it was still hard. I thought not having her around would've been fine, but I was wrong. I missed her pestering. Theo noticing this frowned.

"I'm sorry, you must miss her." He said, trying to sound sympathetic. I just nodded and let the silence sit for awhile. Like in the car, it wasn't awkward, it was more peaceful. We were both content with the silence. But all silence must end.

"So why are you here detective?" I said shutting my laptop. I froze, thinking that maybe the guy was spotted somewhere near my home.

"We didn't find him if that's what you're thinking Drew." He said, shutting down my thoughts immediately. I just sighed, that's the first good news I've had in awhile.

"Then what's up?" I ask facing him.

"We know his name, Carter Raymond. But sadly we don't have a face." He explained. My eyebrows furrowed.

"How is that possible?" I asked.

"Well the forensic team got a partial print off of your neck, and we got a hit. His prints are in the system, but since he's never been caught, no one knows what he looks like." Theo explained, but I was still confused.

"Come on, there has got to be a picture somewhere." I said and Theo just shrugged.

"I don't know how there isn't, but it's most likely that he's been going by a fake name all this time."

"So we actually have nothing." I rolled my eyes. Why would he come over if they found something that isn't even useful. It may not even apply anymore!

"Don't be too sure, his name may be a fake, but prints don't lie. We've been monitoring petty crimes to see if they come up again. If we find a pattern we can track him." He said, sounding a bit smug. Good thing I know exactly what his pattern is.

"You want a pattern? Just let me go walk after dark again, because it seems every time I do that he can't resist." I said being completely serious, and Theo's eyes widened.

"There is no possible way you are doing that! We're going to find him another way, I don't enjoy entertaining the thought of dangling you as bait to a psychopath." He said, mumbling the last part. He confuses me, one minute he's impassive, the next passionate. He's a very bipolar man.

"Why do you care?" I say, maybe Mae was right? He does seem to want to protect me, and I do feel safe with him. Maybe he does care.

"Too much paperwork if you get attacked again." He said, completely serious. Wow, never mind. But I could hear a tone of amusement in his words. He's getting more comfortable around me.

"Alright, miss paperwork has house hunting tomorrow so vamoose." I said ushering him out. As he was walking out he picked up the baseball bat from where it lay on the floor.

"Keep this with you tonight, I'll be outside but just encase." He said opening the door and stepping out.

"Do you think he'll come?" I had to ask, saying I was nervous was an understatement.

"I don't think so, but as I said earlier, I don't enjoy entertaining the thought of you and the psychopath." He said with a smile. A genuine smile, dang, I was right earlier.

"We know his name now, you can stop calling him psychopath." I smirked, but he just laughed.

"Yeah but psychopath just fits him better." Theo said. I couldn't agree more. Starlight. I still have no clue what the significance of it is. 

"Thank you detective Shaw." I said, and he gave me another smile.

"I told you, call me Theo." I think I felt butterflies. 

"Goodnight Theo." I said shutting my door. I have no idea why I get like this around him. It's just constant butterflies.

Mae is going to have a field day with this. I suddenly got the best idea.

Please vote if you enjoyed this little DREO moment.