Ch 1: The Outbreak

It was a normal day. I guess. I was walking home from school with my hands casually behind my head. A slight breeze blew from the west slightly ruffling my gold highlighted, pixie cut, burnette hair. My loose fitting short sleeve green hoodie allowed some air flow to brush against my lightly tanned skin from the breeze. With my bangs parted to the right, they slightly curved in front of my face, half way hiding my right eye. My loose faded blue jeans that hugged my waist comfortably and stopped at my ankles were torn here and there around my thighs, and knees. Not that I cared. Being the complete tomboy I was, I wore jeans like these pretty much all the time. And as funny as it was to get mistaken for a boy, it was kind of annoying. I may not have that big of a chest, but I sure as hell ain't flat as a board. I'm not as curvy as most girls, but I am pretty well bulit. Living on a ranch does have its perks. I was thinking of riding my horse when I got home, but I was ripped out of my thoughts by paniced screams of terror. I stopped and turned my head to look over my left shoulder. I saw people being chased by... Other people, but something was off about them. My mismatched eyes widened in horror as I watched the towns folk that were running and screaming get tackled by their pursuers, and eaten alive! My legs moved on their own accord, making me take a few steps back. My sight was to focused on the gursome scene before me, I didn't notice an empty bottle behind me. Before I knew it I stepped on it and fell backwards because the bottle rolled under my foot. The cannibles heard my startled yelp, and came rushing at me. I scrambled to my feet and took off in a mad sprint home! Don't think I've ever ran faster in my life. I bardged inside my home and slammed the oak wood front door shut, locking it tight. Then I pushed the heavy sofa infront of it. Briefly I hunched over with my hands on my knees to catch my breath. I stared at my green slip on converse then rose to my full height. I pulled up my white ankle socks that had slipped down while I was running. Wondering what the hell was going on I turned on the televison above the fire place in the living room. The news was on and lets just say I'm pretty damn sure that good news has gone down the drain, never to return. The message The green flu has broken out!! Make your way to the closest safe zone immidiately! slid across the bottom of the screen over and over again. Footage of what was going down in town was showing on the screen. My jaw hung open in terror as I watched the infected attack those weren't fast enough to get away. I even watched special infected attack army lines of battle. My heart almost stopped when I saw my mother and father get taken down and killed in action. This was too much for my brain to handle. My knees buckled beneath me and I fell to the floor, landing half on my back and half on my side. I could only see black after that...