Ch 2: Part of the pack

As my consciousness slowly returned to me, I started hearing some shifting around me. It sounded like several individuals were studying me. They sounded like they were on all fours. I could smell them. And they smelled horrible. They smelled of dried and fresh blood, and infected flesh. As much as I wanted tp slip back into the dark abyss called unconsciousness, I knew I had to wake up. Slowly, I opened my mismatched eyes. The first thing I saw was a hooded figure's face inches away from my own. I blinked, confused, and watched as the figure backed away so I could sit up. It took me a moment to remember how to move, and I pushed myself up. As I had heard, there was several of these things. And by several I mean at least 20. I noticed my house looked a bit run down, but still stable. But that wasn't my concern at the moment.

      "What... are you?" I hesitantly asked, unsure if they could even understand me. One came up and used one of his claws to carve a word into the floor. "H-U-N-T-E-R-S. Hunters?" I looked at that "hunter" confused. The hunter nodded and then went off somewhere. Another came up, and stood up right to their full height. He offered me his hand, to help me up. I accepted his assistance, and was helped to my feet. He went back down to all fours. The hunter that had told me what they were came back with a piece of paper. He gave it to me, and I read what was printed on it. Containment of the infection has failed. 24 hours have been dedicated to protecting and securing the safe zones. All non-infected citizens both in and outside of town have been successfully evacuated. My hands shook, and I gritted my teeth together. Those unbelievable pricks! Every non-infected citizen my ass! The amount of rage and hatred I felt for those... those humans like myself was unimaginable. The hunter could obviously sense how enraged I was. I never thought I could hate my own kind as much as I did. I glanced at the pack of hunters, my gaze soft even though I was seething with hatred. The biggest hunter came up to me. I guessed he was the alpha of the pack. He studied me from under his black hood, before standing up straight on his two long legs. I looked up at him and he looked down at me. I was at eye level with his chest. The hunter then seemed to smile at me. He then roared loudly, making his mighty pack roar in return. Guess I'm part of the pack now.