Chapter 3

Cassie returned back inside, even though her legs ached to run deeper into the forest. Even then, she knew she was still wounded, and she wouldn't be able to get far. Marc was right. She had to be patient, even if she knew next to nothing about her family's condition. She needed time to take in everything around her.

Cassie took a seat at the kitchen table and pressed her hands under her chin while letting out a deep sigh.

"Oh," Marc muttered.

"What?"

"You're starving, aren't you?" Marc realized. "You haven't eaten in a few days."

Oh...Cassie had barely noticed the growing ache in her stomach. She had been feeling a little nauseous, probably because her last meal had been those smores she had been making with Diana that fateful night.

Slowly, she nodded. "Is there a place to clean up too?" She glanced down at her dirty pajamas and ran a hand through her knotted hair. "I'm filthy."

Lillian walked up toward the kitchen now. "There's a shower down the hall. You can borrow some extra clothes," she offered. "And Marc could get you something to eat in the meantime."

"What type of spiritkeeper are you?" Cassie wondered as she stood up.

"Kindness," Lillian said, shooting her a smile. She pulled her shirt down a little so Cassie could see the top of a silver dolphin tattoo on her upper chest.

"How old were you when your...uh...spirit appeared?"

"Thirteen," Lillian said as she led her to the bathroom.

The girl paused halfway down the hall, turning on the light. Cassie peered through the doorway, realizing the bathroom was much smaller than she expected. There were the basics: a sink, a toilet, a rusty shower. She certainly wasn't expecting a first-class bathroom, but she had been hoping for a bit more...Still, she was thankful for a place to clean-up.

Lillian had apparently realized that she was disappointed as she said, "Oh, yes. I know the bathroom isn't special. But be thankful we have one. Some safe houses don't and they have

to—"

"Okay, got it!" Cassie cut her off. "Where were the spare clothes, by the way?"

"Oh, right." Lillian took her one room over and stepped inside another bedroom. Cassie glanced around, admiring the soft pink color of Lillian's room. Pastels of all kinds decorated her room in the curtains, the furniture, and the bedsheets.

It looked much nicer than Cassie's blank room.

"Oh, do you like it?" Lillian asked, noticing Cassie glancing around. "When I first came here, I was really disappointed with the décor, so I found some old paint in the attic. Cherie and I painted my room, and I used the money I saved to buy some nice decorations."

"My room isn't like this," Cassie said quietly as Lillian retrieved some clothes from the drawer.

"You're new. Your room will be your own little home soon," she explained.

"This isn't my home," Cassie mumbled.

Lillian turned around and let out a low sigh. Cassie stiffened, not realizing that Lillian had actually heard her.

"I understand this is hard for you, Cassie. I didn't expect my father to die or for my mother to shut me out of her life completely. I was so content ten years ago. But times change."

"Ignore me. I'm being bratty," Cassie said, glancing away.

"Your concerns are valid too. But I'm happy here, and maybe you will be too." Lillian's head turned to a portrait on her desk. Cassie drew closer, realizing it was a picture of young Lillian sitting between Marc and Conny while Irene and Miguel stood on either side.