Chapter 23

In the days that followed, Cassie spent most of her time caring for Elijah. She wished she could say it was becoming easier, but it wasn't. She could tell the separation from his parents was taking a toll on him, and even when she'd tried every way to calm him, he'd still cry. Cassie wished she could make him understand that they were gone indefinitely.

She'd whisper to him at night that his parents would come back, and some nights, she really prayed Irene and Miguel would show up again. Even if the fighting had stopped, Cassie could tell that the others missed Irene and Miguel as well. The cabin felt lopsided without their presence.

Cherie had been asking around, trying to get some information on the missing couple, but so far, no one had sighted them, leaving everyone with a sense of hopelessness.

In fact, Cassie was so preoccupied with caring for Elijah and worrying about Irene and Miguel that her family was becoming a thought in the back of her mind. She didn't want Elijah to grow up without his parents, and she worried for her friends who had two members of their own family.

August was continuing on, and Cassie realized training was nearing. She worried what it would mean in terms of Elijah and her family. A glance at the calendar also told her that her birthday was soon, yet it barely mattered to her.

Cassie rocked Elijah back and forth, thinking of what her birthday would be like. Even if she assumed no one knew, they'd all hinted at it, and she assumed she'd be in for a quiet and fun evening, even if Cassie didn't feel like she deserved it.

Elijah stretched his arms wide and let out a yawn, his dark hair frazzled after a night of sleep. He'd been doing well sleeping to her surprise, though she knew not every night could be peaceful.

"Good morning," she told him quietly.

Elijah smiled a little as she sat him on her lap. He glanced around the room, obviously searching for the faces of his parents. How could Cassie not think of them when he was the striking image of his father? And his baby blue eyes belonged to his mother.

He was beginning to get hungry, so she forced herself up from the chair, heading to the kitchen for breakfast. The only person up was Lillian, who was figuring out a crossword puzzle. Cassie's heart pained as she thought of her mother who used to do the crossword puzzle in every morning paper.

"Good morning," Cassie said quietly.

Lillian looked up, giving her a small smile. "Good morning. How'd the little one sleep?"

"Better," Cassie admitted as she sat him down in his chair.

"There's a warm bottle of formula in the microwave already. I thought I'd save you some time," Lillian told her.

Cassie thanked her and grabbed it. She pulled him out of his highchair and began feeding him, letting out a sigh as she relaxed in silence a few minutes.

"He looks so much like Miguel," Lillian observed.

Cassie nodded, glancing at his blue eyes.

"I hope they come back," Lillian said quietly.

"Me too," Cassie admitted.

"I find it weird how easily they took off, like they had another plan. I know Cherie wants to focus on our training, but it's...it's so bizarre. And it's my fault," Lillian admitted. "I let my feelings get the better of me."

"You didn't mean what you said, did you?" Cassie wondered.

"No. Of course not. I know Irene is very happy to have him. I was angry. I won't let my feelings do that again," Lillian muttered.