Chapter 28

Cassie awoke groggy in the morning. A bit of sunlight was shining onto the cold prison floor. She rolled over, her entire body aching with each movement. For a moment, she had thought she was back in the cabin, but then the reality of her capture, separation from Marc, and betrayal of Irene and Miguel swarmed back to her.

She let out a groan and sat up, shivering. She threw the sweater she had been using as a pillow back on her frigid body. Even if it was summer, the air was much colder down below.

Cassie heard the large door swing open. Her heart raced with hopefulness, though she was unsure why. Perhaps she thought Marc was coming to save her or someone was busting her out. But the multiple footsteps made her realize it was probably time for breakfast.

The other prisoners made their way to the metal bar. Cassie felt her own stomach growl and supposed she'd need to let herself eat today. She stood up slowly, ignoring the pain in her body, and faced the bars.

Guards were pushing plates of unappetizing food toward prisoners. Cassie's mouth was drooling though at the sight of anything edible.

The food was growing closer to her, but the guard skipped completely past her, not even making a bit of eye contact.

"What about me?" she complained.

The guard turned, surprised, though when his gaze fell on Cassie, he smiled.

"Oh, we know about you, Cassandra Black. Lynch spoke to us directly today. He ordered we not feed you yet. You'll be meeting him soon."

Cassie groaned and took a seat, not even caring about the food anymore. She only glanced around, wishing there was some way out of this hellhole. She thought maybe a prisoner would be kind and offer to share, but everyone kept to themselves. They were being fed only to be kept alive, not to fully sustain themselves.

The door opened again a little later.

"Marc?" she called. She pressed her hand to her mouth, not expecting those words to escape her lips. She knew he was not coming. No one was coming for her.

"No one can hear you," the woman in the cell next to her said. Cassie had assumed that their one conversation was done, but it seemed like this woman was desperate for conversation again.

"You can hear me," Cassie pointed out.

"No one can hear your cries for help," the woman said more clearly. "I called for everyone I knew, but no one found me or helped me. It's best you learn to become quiet like the others."

"I refuse. You've all given up, but I won't!" Her voice was beginning to rise, and adrenaline started coursing through her veins. Giving up was not an option.

"Suit yourself. But sometimes, the wisest are the quietest," the woman said softly.

The woman did not speak again, and when Cassie looked up, she noticed people coming forward. These footsteps were small, meaning that only a few were approaching. Her heart began to race as they came nearer.

They came into view at last. There was a tall and broad man in a dark black suit. His hair was dark and slicked back with gel. He was older, Cassie guessed. Probably in his late fifties or early sixties. His hair was beginning to gray, and his chin was freshly shaved. He walked calmly through prison as two guards accompanied him.

The prison, though already quiet, became increasingly quiet as he continued to walk.

"Lynch," Cassie whispered.

He stopped right by her cell and turned, looking at her straight in the eye. His icy blue eyes nearly pierced her soul, and he gave her a terrifying smile before placing a hand on the metal bar. She slapped at it, and he removed his hand calmly.