Chapter 25

The next few days dragged on. The memory of Cassie's birthday burned in her mind, and she realized that next morning that it had been the happiest she'd ever been in her time at the cabin. But now that the fun was over, she returned to worrying about upcoming training and her family, as well as caring for Elijah.

Though the one café owner had spotted them, there had been no sign of Irene and Miguel since. Cassie doubted they'd be returning anytime soon. In the meantime, she was constantly caring for their infant, with help from the others, of course.

Cassie sat up and drew her sheets back, her fingers reaching up to touch the sapphire earrings. She had not taken them off since her birthday, partially out of fear that her holes would close up since she hadn't worn earrings in quite some time. She enjoyed wearing them though. She doubted she'd ever be able to recover her jewelry back at home.

Cassie stood and picked Elijah up from his crib. She froze, turning to look at the calendar. It was only two days until her training began. Her stomach began to feel queasy. She was nervous to leave the others behind.

Biting her lip, she took Elijah out of her bedroom and into the kitchen, beginning to feed him. She fed him absentmindedly, not able to shake the thoughts of training out of her mind. A knot had formed in her stomach that she doubted would go away soon.

Elijah made a noise of disapproval, and Cassie turned, realizing she'd pulled the spoon away from him while she'd been caught up in her own thoughts.

"Sorry," she muttered, bringing the spoonful of food back to him. He licked it up in satisfaction, though Cassie didn't feel remotely hungry.

"Good morning!" Lillian called, walking in from the porch. She held an empty coffee mug, though Cassie could still smell its scent, even as Lillian placed it in the sink to wash it.

"Morning," Cassie murmured.

"You okay?" Lilian asked. "You sound tired."

"I'm stressed."

"Why?"

Cassie chuckled. "When am I not? I have a lot to think about right now," she said as she fed another scoop of food to Elijah.

"Training is going to be fine, Cassie. We trust this man," Lillian told her.

"It's still a big deal," Cassie murmured. "He doesn't know I'm a human-spirit."

"You'll be fine. Just talk to Marc if you're stressed. He'll know what to do. He'll coach you."

"I'll do what?" Marc's voice sounded from the hallway.

"Training," Lillian explained as Marc stepped into the kitchen. His hair was messy from a long sleep, and he was still in his pajamas that consisted of long green shorts and an old white top.

"You're supposed to give me advice," Cassie told him.

"Oh? Is that today?" he mumbled.

"Marc!"

He laughed and sat down next to her. "I know it's in two days. I'll start going over training basics with you today though."

"Thank goodness," she breathed in relief.

"I'll watch Elijah for you," Lillian offered. "Do you want me to head into town for the day so you two can concentrate?"

Marc shook his head. "We'll be out on the patio."

"We will?" Cassie asked. Marc nodded, and Cassie turned back to Lillian. "Are you sure you can watch him, Lillian? I feel like I keep asking you to."