Chapter 29

Cassie opened her eyes weakly, finding herself still in her family's prison. She felt comforted by the soft grass beneath her, but it only took a moment for her to remember the cruel reality of her family's mental state.

She clenched her fists as she thought of Lynch.

Her family had retreated into their tiny huts for rest, while Cassie sat awake, watching the sunrise cast an orange glow over the prison. She sighed and leaned back, trying to understand Lynch's motives. Even if he thought this charade would convince her to join, she wouldn't.

Cassie laid on her back, glancing at the orange sky. Back at home, she'd always sleep too late to see the sunrise, and even if she woke early for a few moments, her curtains always shut out the glowing sky.

Hearing movement, Cassie turned to the side, noticing someone standing over her. She blinked.

"Mom?"

Her vision focused on John Walker. She let out a shout as her uncle moved to cover her mouth. Cassie sprang up and ran past him.

"Stop!" he called.

Lynch is setting them against me now, Cassie realized.

"Cassie, quiet!" he growled.

"Don't touch me!" she snapped.

"I'm not brainwashed," her uncle told her, stepping forward.

"What do you mean?"

"I have spiritkeeper genes," he explained.

"But you're not..."

"My spirit made an appearance when I was fifteen, but since I couldn't comprehend what was happening, I lost the chance. The blood still courses through my veins though. That's why I won't have children. I don't want them inheriting it. Lynch's brainwashing technique only works on humans. I've been pretending in hope that he would bring you."

"I never would've thought..." Cassie's voice trailed off.

"Sorry. I know this is a shock. You're a human-spirit, aren't you? I've been listening in on the guards. They must want you more than ever."

"You still have knowledge of their world?" Cassie wondered.

John nodded. "I was curious. I had some other encounters with spiritkeepers as the years went on. I know how the world works, but I also know the suffering many are facing. I didn't realize you'd be one."

Cassie took a seat, trying to comprehend everything she's just learned. She'd barely spoken to her uncle in all the years she had known him, though now she supposed she knew why.

"Lynch wants me to do his dirty work," Cassie explained.

He sighed. "I'm getting you out of here, Cassie."

"How? You can't," Cassie complained.

"We don't have much time," he urged. "I disabled the cameras earlier. We need to hurry before they come down here to investigate."

"What do I do?" Cassie asked.

"You're climbing out of here."

She turned, glancing at the rock wall. She gulped.

"I assume you've had training. You need to escape on your own while I work on getting the family out," John explained.

"What's the use? They're brainwashed."

"Not entirely. This environment keeps the effects of the brainwashing on them. Fumes are injected in here daily to continue this mirage for them. It's been used before on humans when they've witnessed something they shouldn't have. Lynch uses these fumes to convince them they're safe. It won't affect you and me. But if I get them out of here, the effects should eventually wear off. Now go!"