Chapter 19: Gardien

Matt's POV

It has been almost two weeks now since me and my men started our search for Blair, yet up to this day we still don't have any clear signs as to where she might have been to. Every day I wake up with hopes of finally finding her. I miss waking up having my arms wrapped around her soft, warm body; the way she smiles and how her face lit up when she looks at me. I just miss... all of her. I feel like I'm about to go crazy as I wonder if she's okay wherever she is. I wonder too if she misses me like how much I miss her.  I could only hope so...

I lost my train of thought as I felt a gentle pushing right at my leg.  It was Gardien, the wolf who has been keeping me company these past few days. I had been thinking about what Cass had said about giving her a name. I realized she was right; we must call the wolf something while she's with us.

I got her name from the French word 'Gardien' which means 'Guardian.'

On the days that she's been with me, I noticed how she wouldn't even leave my side at least once during the search and even at home, she would always follow me around like how a guardian or an angel would. To be honest, I don't find it annoying at all, rather I find her company quite heart-warming.

We have gone to the forest and the town several times already this week and we still haven't found anything that would lead us to my mate, so I decided we go back here on the woods. We've been here even before the break of dawn today. Now as I look down at my watch, it's almost ten in the morning. By noon, I will be calling it a day. I decided we take a break for a few minutes before we continue the search for another hour.

I sat down on the warm, soft ground and let my back rest against the foot of a giant Redwood tree. I grabbed my water jug and drank directly from it.

My lips automatically broke into a smile as I watch Gardien brush her head against my arm. I poured some water into her mouth.

She has always been caring and sweet to me that somehow, with her company I don't feel so alone anymore. Even when I sleep at night, she would sleep beside me in my bed and it's strange that my nightmares don't come too often from then on. I believe the wolf's mere presence has something to do with it. There's just something about her that I couldn't really put a name to. All I know is that, for some reason, she's capable of easing the burden that I feel for losing Blair.

 "Alpha", I turned to Ian, a dear friend and one of the guards in the pack. He volunteered to join me in the search together with five other men. "Shall we continue with the search? It's almost lunch time. My mother is cooking a roast beef at our house; I could smell it even from here!"

I grinned at his remark. The rest of the werewolves laughed and nodded in agreement.

 "Alright, let's go back to business." I stood up from the ground.  "Be sure to be back here in an hour."

I turned to Eric. "You and Shaun will be searching that way." I pointed to my east.

Then, I tuned to Ian and Mike. "You two will go this way." I pointed to my west.

"Jake and Clark, you two will be going south, back to where we came from. We might have missed something there; I want you to check the place again." The two nodded. "I will be heading north."

Clark looked down on the wolf beside me. "Is Gardien coming with you?" Just like me, they have grown fond of the wolf.

"Yes. We might find her pack somewhere there. But, if you see a pack of wolves in your area, call me." They all nodded. 'Calling' me means 'howling'. As werewolves, we could easily follow where the howl is coming from.

I turned to Mike who is raising his hand. "Is it just me who wishes she doesn't find her pack?"

Everybody chuckled at what he just said.