Chapter 5: The academy

It was a two day walk to the academy

It was a two day walk to the academy. We marched through forests and rivers and such until we finally saw the large building made of wood and stone perched near the top of the waterfall.

Since Andie and I weren't guaranteed to be friendly we didn't take the short route. We walked in through the arched doorway and stood under the pointed roof. Two teachers came closer and we greeted us.

They both looked pretty... young. The taller one was really, really, really tall with short, spiky black hair and honey coloured eyes. The second, looking a little younger, was about a head taller than I was with matching raven hair as the other, except his was long and slightly messy. His eyes looked like black holes, almost sucking you in and consuming your soul. He had olive skin and, yes, obviously, black armour.

He spoke with an accent,"Buon pomeriggio," I recodnised the Italian as 'good afternoon', "Welcome to the academy. Please follow Andet Fin to his class." He gestured to a man with ash-brown hair and a beard. I can't believe I didn't even hear him...

He had a scary looking ginger cat on his shoulder. I felt a pang in my chest and realised how much I missed my cat at home. And my grandmother. After my mother took off and my dad went to jail she's the only one who's been there for me. And my cat, Percy,  of course. I had such a mix of feelings in that split second that I didn't even notice when the man told us to follow him.

We walked along with the other two teachers and I glanced back at the boy who brought us here: Abydos. He gave me a weird vibe.

We walked into a room coloured green with a table and three chairs, two facing the one. The ginger and I took in our seats and she took my hand for support. I slowly and awkwardly closed my fingers around hers. Since I'm not a physical person it's uncomfortable for me to make this kind of contact. 

"We are the place you go to when you need to find yourself, but most of the people have adopted the habit of calling us 'The academy'." He laced his fingers together and stared at us, "Let's start with you, serpent paint las," I wasn't sure if I should be offended or flattered as I consiously touched my makeup, "You have shown signs of  your power which would make it easier to determine." He turned to the blonde expectantly. The boy stood up proud with his hands behind his back, talking about me and the battle.

I couldn't stop thinking of home. I realised I was scared... Then I picked up on what he was doing:

He was giving witness.

The fact that we were treated like animals that could infect or slaughter their precious people was understandable. The fact that we were expected to follow their demands were understandable, but the fact that we have to prove our WORTH was neither that or acceptable.