Chapter 6: I'm so glad it wasn't scrambled

I woke up to the familiar mumbling from the girl next to me

I woke up to the familiar mumbling from the girl next to me. Kyle was gripping the blanket tightly and scrunching her eyes shut as she dreamt, nightmares were a common occurrence for her.

I laid in the bed for a couple of minutes before I got up and gently shook her awake. I looked around the room as she opened her eyes slightly then snuggled back to sleep. The walls were a light brown colour and smelled like clay. The floor was compressed stone with carpets on it and the fire in the fireplace had died. There was a single wooden chair in front of it and only one window, giving the effect that it was underground. It had no drapes so I covered it with one of the blankets.

I normally woke up around 4 am, although I tend to laze around for a couple of hours before getting up. I had things to inspect though.

I opened the thick door and went outside, the hallway was long, arched and barren. I turned to my left since we came from the right the day before. I heard loud grunts and yelps along with slamming coming from one of the rooms so I opened the door quietly.

I peeked my head in to see Mika in a small top and trousers fighting with the short teacher from the day before... Nico... Nickelodeon? The man that got Kyle all riled up, Andet Finn, was standing to the side evaluating them with his arms folded behind his back.

Mika noticed me and tripped, falling flat on her face making her opponent smile triumphantly.

"I hope that's not what you do when you see an enemy approaching in battle, Mika," Andet Finn was stern as he glared at her, "And I hope that Nico isn't too distracted to notice them."

Nico lowered his wooden sword and his smile faltered. I thought Andet Finn might have been joking, but his voice was too serious so I dismissed it. He brushed past me, seemingly done with the two.

Nico helped Mika up and they started cleaning up the room and putting things away. They both seemed very down, but not as threatening as the man that left, so I went in to help.

I asked them what they were practicing for since the blonde mentioned a battle. Mika spoke with an emotionless tone. "We've been having trouble with the Vuür tribe. They are people who's magic revolves around fire. They've been raging wars on us for taming dragons."

What now about fire? I never really liked elemental magic, it seemed to limit your creativity.

"So Andet is like... the fight instructor?" I asked and she smiled, "Andet isn't a person's name, it's a title." I frowned slightly and she explained further, "There are tribes for each element plus our tribe," she went on and on until Kyle bobbed her head in with her huge, Madusa-like hair. She always had the worst case of bedhead I've seen. Her voice was higher than normal, squeaky even. She must have just woken up.