Chapter 3: We can't get a break

A smile tugged at Ama's lips, "Magic?" She laughed fully now, "Of course I mean magic! What else?" I stared at her trying to tell if she was being sarcastic or not

A smile tugged at Ama's lips, "Magic?" She laughed fully now, "Of course I mean magic! What else?" I stared at her trying to tell if she was being sarcastic or not. My radar came back negative.

I looked at Andie who seemed even more baffled than I was, just staring at the woman blankly; expressionless to the book.

The blonde's smile falters. "Did you just realise we're not from here and know nothing about magic?" I raise my eyebrows cheekily. If she'd let us talk-

"Well now you do."

Andie and I exchanged a look of confusion that she expressed by staring emotionlessly at the woman, "We will show you to a room, follow my daughter." Ama gestured to the girl standing by the fire, from the shape of her cloak her shoulders were slumped and broader than I was used to seeing on girls.

"Um... I'm not so sure about this," my friend's voice came. Just before I could tell her to leave it, since it's getting dark, a cannon sounded, followed by battlecries.

Andie and I, as you probably guessed, had opposite reactions.

Before there was time to think, we were rushed out of the house. The roof caught fire.When we were outside the stars shone brightly, mixing with the colour of the flames like the gods were throwing flaming cannonballs at us from the sky. Greek gods that is, I love mythology. Pretty soon it all went downhill.

Or more like down a cliff.

There were people everywhere

There were people everywhere. Some in uniforms of white and yellow robes with swords, bows and hammers. People and... and... creatures were fighting each other, littering the ground with the dead, rooves were on fire and a large shadow moved to my right, along with a gust of wind.

I looked up and saw a large, blue creature with magneficent wings. What was that? 

The sight of the beast made me wonder where Kyle was, if she was safe. I had one thing on my mind: My best friend.

I looked around and saw the platinum haired girl blocking the swings of another person's sword. They'd come down with it, swinging it over their head and she'd hold her forearms in an x-shape, but they still got some in. I was on the opposite side of an animal pen of some kind, quite a distance separating us.

I ran.

Concentrating so much on my friend, it was easy for the woman to tackle me to the ground. I hit my head so hard my ears started to ring, only I realised SHE was making that sound. She had long auburn hair that was a mess around her head and her mouth was open wide with what I guess highpitched soundwaves emitting from it.

I could feel my heartbeat in my ears and let out a scream in agony, slightly moving my mouth so it remotely sounded like Kyle's name. It seemed to be enough since I heard her asmathic breathing, something I started recognizing after years of friendship, carrying over the battlefield.
It still sounded far away and I heard snapping all of a sudden.

The woman's weight lifted off of me and the ringing stopped. At first I thought someone had come to my rescue when I heard another, louder snap and a heavy wind blew past me. I opened my eyes to see a large, horned and scaly animal standing over me, blowing an intense stream of fire to my left. I followed the flames direction and a wooden watchtower turning to ash as its falling, right where I was lying.

Once the last few bits hit the ground the grey animal turned toward me, looking me in the eyes and gave a nod of acknowledgement before it ran off and blew fire at some random people.

Concerned blue eyes framed by thick, melting eyeliner appeared above my face. I pulled my head further away with great effort and saw it was the one and only library offender. "Half dead and you still find the energy to avoid kissing me." A half smile spread over Kyle's tired face before she winced and screamed.

I watched my friend make it halfway to a lying position before a sharp pain in my head made it all blur to black.

The pain in my shoulder was agonising. I looked up and saw a guy with large, fox-like ears kicking the read head with enough force to crack her skull. I tried taking in enough air but my throat was too closed up for that so I decided to throw a punch and fall into it, not needing as much energy. I lifted my hand and aimed it in an curved position, hitting him behind the knee and making him fall forward. I threw myself at him and kneed him in the chest.  A couple of people noticed that I shook uncontrollably, numbing and aching at the same time.

The amount of anger, pain and loss I felt at that moment, my life, my grandmother, my unconscious friend and this fucking shaking was too much. I wished everyone could feel... this, could know this frustration. I imagined pushing all the negative things outward, it making a wave of agony ripping through the air, a purple-pink hue and then I collapsed, out of energy, onto my friend. My body was still and physically exhausted, all my muscles relaxed and the world started to blur.

I felt cold and tired, my lips twitched without my consent and I closed my eyes to the dark, flaming world around me.

(A/N) Hi, guys! Thanks for reading and we hope you enjoyed it

(A/N) Hi, guys! Thanks for reading and we hope you enjoyed it. Please forgive spelling mistakes since Huffy might have missed some. I also didn't really focus much on grammar. 

I promise the plot will take off in a bit. Thanks for sticking though. ;)